Destination mac

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Destination mac

L4 Transporter

I was having issues with DHCP being blocked, so I can a packet capture from the PA to see if I could tell was was blocking the DHCP traffic and if it could possbile be the PA. It shows the mac address of the interface on the PA as the source and then its lists a mac address that I cannot identify as the destination. So if anyone has any ideas of how to figure out what that destination mac belongs too I would appreicate it. The PA has to be reading it from somewhere

20 REPLIES 20

@Raido_Rattameister

Thanks I thought that would be the case, so that is my mystery mac address, so should it be listing that management plan and not the mac address of the server that the PA is trying to relay it too,  it lists the destination IP for the DHCP server correctly but gives the mac address of the management plane as the destination not the mac of the DHCP server

Those internal mac addresses are not listed on the management plane.  If you still have the packets with all the other stages (recevie, transmit, firewall and drop).  Check on the other capture if that mystery mac address is present.  

@nextgenhappines

I think I only have the drop, so does that mean that the management plane is failing to pass the traffic on , it show the IP address of the DHCP server in the capture but then list the managemen plane and the destination mac, that doesn't seem right, LOL

It is diificult to determine the cause without additiional information.  It could due to many thing, for example, security policy block and others.   It will be helpful to have a debug flow basic and show counter global filter packet-filter yes delta yes output to provide more information.  

Is this the only dhcp relay configured on the firewall?  Do you have a network diagram that can provide additional information about the setup.    Also, as others already said, any packet captures or logs on the DHCP server end? 

@Raido_Rattameister

support sent me a doc
based on that he says the management plane is something completely different from the control plane. I think it shows the are one and the same

https://media.paloaltonetworks.com/documents/Single_Pass_Parallel_Processing_Architecture.pdf

It was the only relay set for the vlan in question, right now we changed that to make it work and no rules were blocking the traffic we checked for that.

To get additional info I need to have the tech that changed it put it back for testing, but I understand the need for more info

• 20 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!