Device Upgrade 2020 to 5000

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Device Upgrade 2020 to 5000

Not applicable

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade PAN 2020 series to 5020 or 5050. I am wondering if we can simply restore the backup of a 2020 on 5020 and everything should work fine. We are running software version 4.1.7. Currently we are running with active/standby pair of 2020 and we have two vwire, two HA and one captive portal interface on each box.

Thanks,

Farhan

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

I think it should work fine.

However there are a few manual steps involved depending on which features you use. For example if you use custom block/continue-pages and ssl-termination, then those needs to be manually loaded afterwards (or beforehand - I dont recall if the config will scream or not if the cert is missing when loading the conf).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

I think it should work fine.

However there are a few manual steps involved depending on which features you use. For example if you use custom block/continue-pages and ssl-termination, then those needs to be manually loaded afterwards (or beforehand - I dont recall if the config will scream or not if the cert is missing when loading the conf).

L5 Sessionator

Mikand is correct.  You will need to manually import items such as certificates, custom block pages, etc.  For the most part the transition should be smooth with the exception of the hardware differences between the 2000 series and 5000 series (i.e. physical interfaces).  If you do run into any issues, configuration adjustments can be made after successfully importing the configuration into your 5000 series device.

Thank you both. I will try to migrate the config and let you know in case of any issues. I was told by our SE that the interfaces are same on the 2020 and the 5020 box. Is that right?

Thanks,
Farhan

The PA-2020 has twelve 10/100/1000 copper ethernet interfaces (ethernet1/1 through ethernet1/12) as well as two optical SFP Gigabit interfaces (ethernet1/13 and 1/14)

http://media.paloaltonetworks.com/documents/PA2000_Specsheet.pdf

The PA-5020 has twelve 10/100/1000 copper ethernet interfaces (ethernet1/1 through ethernet1/12) as well as eight optical SFP Gigabit interfaces (ethernet1/13 through 1/20).

http://media.paloaltonetworks.com/documents/PA5000_Specsheet.pdf

They are identical with the exception of the additional SPF interfaces on the 5020.  The 5020 also has dedicated HA1 and HA2 interfaces.

I don't anticipate an issue migrating the configuration with the exception of the dedicated HA interfaces on the 5020 which you will want to take advantage of.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!