DHCP duplicate addresses

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

DHCP duplicate addresses

L1 Bithead

PA-500, PANOS 4.0.5, DHCP set to "auto", lease time all zeros, one IP pool (192.168.2.2-192.168.2.126) .

Recently I noticed that I was getting duplicate IP messages from Windows computers on my network. I found that certain devices were geting the same IP.  I found that when plugging in two devices both got the same IP address.

Has anyone else seen this? It appears that a lease time of zero started behaving like a lease time of zero instead of unlimited. I have another PA-500 configured the same way with no problems.

Setting a lease time fixed my problem, but I'm curious why after more than a year of use the behavior would change, and why my other PA-500 behaves differently.

4 REPLIES 4

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Hi RClary,

Did you observe this change of behavior around the time that you upgraded PAN-OS?  If so, what version were you on before 4.0.5?  It looks like you have a pool of 124 IP addresses, do you have the same number of devices?

Thanks,

Nick

L1 Bithead

No upgrade, before I noticed the behavior. I was running 4.0.2 since its release date (4/11) and only started seeing the behavior in the past month. I downloaded and installed 4.0.5 with no change.

Normally I have fewer than 20 devices. I used the command line to clear all leases, and tested it with a network consisting of one switch and two devices, both devices got the same address.

Palo Alto Networks Guru

Please open a case with our support team to investigate.

Thanks,

Nick

Hello,

I have a customer which complains the same problem in a 4.0.5 box. An interface dedicated to Wifi guest access.

He complains to have some machine with IP address in conflict and the following error in the PAN system log:

SYSTEM ALERT : medium : ip address is already in use ip x.x.x.x interface ethernet1/3

The lease configured is 4 hours.

Have you fixed that issue or is a bug?

Thank you and regards.

Walter Doria.

• 4 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!