Direct web traffic to internal proxy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Direct web traffic to internal proxy

L4 Transporter

For some reason oun of our MS GPO's is failign to apply ( or rather is wiping ) proxy server settings for our users. 

The users shoudl be hitting the proxy before going through the PA, but it's broken.

USER-Website:80:443 --> PROXY:8080  --80:443--> --PALO --> WORLD

I am trying to fatom how to get teh PA to transparently pass traffic to the proxy but it's not working..

USER-Website:80:443 --> PALO -->  PROXY:8080  --> WORLD

I have tied a nat rule ( one source at present ) 

X.X.13.254 is the firewall trusted interface.
X.X.10.6 is the proxy server.

fw1.jpg

But I get a "Mismatch of destination address translation range between original address and translated address"

It's not, as far as I can tell the issue with named objects.

Ideas?

Rob

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello

If it was me... I would NOT be using any sort of NAT rules at all (are they really needed?)

I would configure a VWire Object (My-VW-Object) and associate 2 interfaces (need 2) with it.

Vwire acts as essentially a 2 port repeater, with no layer2 or layer3 address (no mac or IP) 

So I would associate (say) interface 4 and 5 with My-VW-Object)

Now the traffic looks like this.

USER-Website:80:443 --> (INT 4 in VWmode) PALO (INT 5 in VWmode -->  PROXY:8080  --> WORLD

or even easier

USER-Website:80:443 --> PROXY:8080  --> WORLD

(because VWire mode = repeater... the User's next hop would be the Proxy server)

Considerations...

Interface 4 as vwire needs to belong to a zone... So VW-Internal Zone

Interface 5 as vwire needs to belong to a one... So VW-External Zone.

Need a security policy that allows VW-Internal Zone to talk with VW-External Zone

No NAT rule is needed (again, Vwire does not have L3 address associated with it)

No complimentary rule is needed (VW-External talking with VW Internal)... because... well, your proxy should not be allowing inbound connections to your trusted network.  😛

Any other questions?

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

without NAT the vwire will pass "443 -> 443" and "80 -> 80" it will never get translated to the proxy port 8080.

Also there would be no way to get the traffic to the vwire. the default route out of the network points at the main firewall l3 interface so ALL traffic includig 80:443 arrives there.

And the Proxy is on an internal IP as part of one of our subnets.

It's a documented setup using IPTABLES on Linux, just thought it may be replicatable.

Fortunatly we tracked down our issue to the I.E. Exception list having breached to 2056 character limit.. We thought we had ruled that out early in the investiagtion but we can't have.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!