Disable new apps in content update

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Disable new apps in content update

L2 Linker

Hi Experts,

We've a pair of firewalls (9.1.6) managed by the Panorama (9.1.6). We've Threat prevention license in place and client would like to install just the threats and not the apps by selecting disable the new apps in content update.

As recommended by the TAC, we've downloaded the latest version and when installing the new version, we select the disable new apps in content update on the firewalls. Then, similar procedure followed on the Panorama. 

Once done, Panorama doesn't allow us to commit any changes to the firewalls prompting us with an error message that apps need to be enabled on the firewalls. We need to run the below commands to install the changes.

request set-application-status-recursive status enabled application (name) status enabled

We've shared TSF with the TAC. Am I missing something? Can someone please assist or correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

What is the exact error that you get in Panorama? 

I understand your issue.. but we need a little  more info to get to a resolution.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Hi Joe

Many thanks for looking into this.

When we commit, it reaches 70% and gets failed under warning with a list of 'Disabled Applications'. TAC has been engaged with the TSF file and they're also not sure on the root cause at this stage.

Should we need to select 'disable content apps' in both the firewalls & Panorama or just the Panorama would work? Can you please share the best practice or recommendation of PA?

Note: We use static application/application groups, not just the application-groups. Also, ours is a mission critical network (no outages are entertained). Thanks in advance

L7 Applicator

@nsrini1991 

I am not 100% sure on the location when using Panorama.. but there are a couple of places to ensure that these are disabled properly.. 

Please see this Tips and Tricks we wrote about this here:

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClSgCAK

I will try to verify the settings for Panorama and let you know.

And as far as that "error" what is it exacty?

and when it lists out what is "disabled", usually that shows up as a "warning" and not an error.  Just to clarify. 

Stay Secure,
Joe

L7 Applicator

I did find this article about shared device groups and applications.. not sure if this helps at all.. 

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000PNinCAG

Stay Secure,
Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for the reply. We were getting a commit error when Pushing configuration from Panorama to the Firewalls. The error stated that "some apps were already in use and were invalid"

Does it because of the duplicate entries of disabling in both the Firewalls and Panorama? Or just disabling in firewalls would work?

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!