DNS security question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

DNS security question

L4 Transporter

I have a question about DNS security and what exactly it does. For example, if I configure all DNS security domains to "sinkhole" but we already have our URL filtering profile blocking all of these domains already is configuring DNS security redundant?

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Claw4609,

Think of DNS Security as a way to account for non-web traffic in addition to blocking the domain from even resolving in the first place. Obviously it is always better to block the request as soon as possible, but URL Filtering also won't prevent traffic unless it can read the URL. In the event that someone is trying to utilize something like DNS tunneling to exfil data, URL Filtering wouldn't capture that while DNS Security would. 

View solution in original post

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Here is a short video I made on this subject a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROIAYSEbTuo

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Claw4609,

Think of DNS Security as a way to account for non-web traffic in addition to blocking the domain from even resolving in the first place. Obviously it is always better to block the request as soon as possible, but URL Filtering also won't prevent traffic unless it can read the URL. In the event that someone is trying to utilize something like DNS tunneling to exfil data, URL Filtering wouldn't capture that while DNS Security would. 

Ah that clears things up, thanks.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Here is a short video I made on this subject a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROIAYSEbTuo

Regards,

Great video, thank you.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!