documentation on PA-VM on ESXi

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

documentation on PA-VM on ESXi

L1 Bithead

Hello,

I am looking for documentation on how to setup VM-300 as vwire/transparent mode on ESXi. What is necessary to be done on the ESXi host regarding networking and how that interfaces to the firewall?

Thanks in advance.

FM.

6 REPLIES 6

L7 Applicator

On your VMware host you create the vSwitches needed to segment the network.  then connect the servers and PA interfaces to these vSwitches for your desired zone layout.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/How-to-Configure-Interfaces-for-VM-Serie...

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Thank you...I will give it a go!

L1 Bithead

Hello,

The information/link provided is for setting the PA in L3 mode. How does one set up a virtual Palo Alto for a vwire setup?

We are trying to find an exact example of how to setup ESXi in conjunction with the virtual Palo Alto 300 to have it set up properly as a transparent firewall.

Just needed some documentation on what is necessary to be done on the ESXi host regarding networking and how that interfaces to the firewall.

The ESXi side is the same whether the firewall is layer 3 or transparent.  You assign your zone to the interfaces and these need to insert into your flow for the protected devices.

On ESXi you create the vSwitch behind the PA and attach that zone on the PA to that vSwitch.  The protected servers connect to this vSwitch.

The outside zone on the PA connects then to the vSwitch you would use for the server if there were no firewall at all.

You are basically adding one vSwitch and moving the server behind the firewall.

ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Thank you for pointing that out but still I wasn’t able to get everything on VLAN 1 routed via the Palo Alto.

My main confusion/concern is how can I get all physical host like PC’s and wireless devices that exist on VLAN 1 to pass through the Palo Alto in vwire mode?

If I had a physical PA, I’d simply place it in-line between the WAN router and the network switch.

So how can I achieve the same with a virtual Palo Alto?

Thanks in advance.

Farzana

You have your normal vSwitch where the servers would be connected if there were no PA firewall.

Disconnect all the protected servers from this vSwitch.

connect the untrust interface of the v-wire on the PA to this original vSwitch

Create a new vSwitch on the VMware host.

Connect all the protected servers to this vSwitch

connect the trust interface of the v-wire on the PA to this vSwitch

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!