Dual ISP VPN failover with single VR

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual ISP VPN failover with single VR

L1 Bithead

Hi All, looking for some assistance to configure VPN failover for DR/BCP.

I've attached a basic diagram below

Currently, static route monitoring is set up on the outside interfaces of the firewalls at Site A, so if upstream from Site A ISP 1 fails Site A will use Site A ISP 2 to start forwarding traffic out.

From Site A we have two VPN tunnels built to allow Site A LAN to Site B LAN, Site B is also allowed to Site A using the same tunnels.

If Site A ISP 1 fails and we swap across to Site A ISP 2, is there a method to bring up the Site A ISP 2 Tunnel 2 automatically without having an IP assigned to the interface?

Site A already has static routing to Site B via the second tunnel, with a higher metric.

Ideally, I would like Site A to monitor (from its own mgmt loopback IP) the mgmt loopback interface at Site B and fail across the tunnel if it isn't reachable

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 15.52.22.png

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Colin;
Sorry for replying a late, I had some issue to deal with.
There is no need to specify the source IP address because it's the local IP of the tunnel that is used. my 2 tunnels are in a /30 subnet. 
The monitor is the keepalive between the 2 tunnels.
I don't know if it's clear xD  

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!