Error when trying to restart management-server

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Error when trying to restart management-server

L3 Networker

My PA 2020 box has been a bit slow of late, and it also has failed on 2 commits so I thought I would drop onto CLI and do a debug software restart management-server

as this would usually pick things up when I have had the problem in the past.

But when I do this command I get the following

Process 'mgmtsrvr' executing RESTART

Jul 31 12:06:35 Error: pan_read_full(comm_utils.c:97): srvr: fatal recv error. sock=3 err=Connection reset by peer (131)

I wondered if anyone could suggest to me as to why this would be happening and if there is any way to get around it.

I did this same command last week and got the same error, but when it let me back into the web interface the commits then started going through ok. And then it is ok for a while.

Incidentally, the error I was getting on the commit fails was

Management server failed to send phase 1 abort to client logrcvr

Management server failed to send phase 1 abort to client sslvpn

Management server failed to send phase 1 to client websrvr

Management server failed to send phase 1 abort to client websrvr

Management server failed to send phase 1 abort to client sslmgr

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

Hello JRussel,

As Marco said before, " fatal recv error. sock=3 err=Connection reset by peer (131)" is expected while you restart the mgmt server process. Reference document : Error When Restarting the Management-Server Process on CLI

Apply >show system software status and verify if there is any process is other than "running" state. If so, then restart that process followed by mgmt-server restart.

I assume that the logercvr process is not running into the the management plane.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

Hi,

are you having trouble AFTER you restart the Management Server?

The Message "Connection reset by peer " is normal.

When you restart the Management Server the Webserver and SSH Server will also restart.

This is why your Management Session gets reset.

You will have to reconnect after the Server is running again.

Regards

Marco

L7 Applicator

What PAN-OS version are you running ?

L7 Applicator

Hello JRussel,

As Marco said before, " fatal recv error. sock=3 err=Connection reset by peer (131)" is expected while you restart the mgmt server process. Reference document : Error When Restarting the Management-Server Process on CLI

Apply >show system software status and verify if there is any process is other than "running" state. If so, then restart that process followed by mgmt-server restart.

I assume that the logercvr process is not running into the the management plane.

Thanks

L3 Networker

Thanks for the replies.

We have problems with the PAN box before I restart the management server. After that it is fine. I get that I would have to reconnect after a restart of it. It was just previously I have never seen that error before (the connection reset one). It usually takes a few minutes and then boots me out of CLI.

We are still running 5.0.8 OS. Due to problems we had with V6 and booking in the time to do the upgrade out of hours to diagnose said problem.

I will check to see that the process is not running into the man plane and will let you know.

It is just odd that the PAN box behaves eratticly ( multiple fails on commit, slowness etc) and then you do the reset and it is ok... for a while, could be a day, could be a week. But at the moment at least, it always seems to re-occur eventually.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!