Exception for threat type "file"?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Exception for threat type "file"?

L1 Bithead

Hi,

I have following in my logs:

Threat tpye: file
Threat name: CSV file
ID: 52032
Severity: low
File Name: xyz.csv

For Vulnerability Protection and Anti-Spyware I know how to easily create exceptions for specific IPs/URLs. Is there a way to easily create exceptions the same way for "file threats"?

Furthermore I'm not aware that my file blocking profile says "CSV" or "any" for downloading files...
This worked fine some days ago afaik.

How would I unblock this?

Best Regards,
Denis

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@DenisHierholzer,

You shouldn't be getting these unless you have a File Blocking profile configured and assigned to this traffic. Can you verify that someone hasn't made any modifications to the profile and isn't alerting/blocking the traffic in any way? 

@BPry,

The matching security rule is "PROD-WEB-WHITELISTED-URLs" (see screenshot) and from there I've followed the path to the file blocking profile:

security rule "PROD-WEB-WHITELISTED-URLs" -> security profile group "ZUR-MITIGATION-NO-URL-FILTER" -> file blocking profile "ZUR-FILE-BLOCK-DEFAULT"

ZUR-FILE-BLOCK-DEFAULT contains 3 rules:

1)
Name: DOWNLOAD-ALERT-DEFAULT
Apps: any
File Types: any
Direction: download
Action: alert

2)
Name: DOWNLOAD-BLOCK-DEFAULT
File Types: bat, cmd, cpl, dll, dmg, exe, gzip, iso, lnk, mp3, msi, ocx, pif, powershell, tar, vbe, wmf
Direction: download
Action: alert

3)
Name: UPLOAD-BLOCK-DEFAULT
File Types: any
Direction: upload
Action: block

I cannot find anything in this file blocking profile that would block a CSV.
Once again: afaik this file blocking profile hasn't change lately but the CSV download worked before with it. Maybe a bug with one of the latest "Applications and Threats" updates?

I've found following list but I don't understand where exactly the file type IDs are used?
https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/FileType-list-with-the-Threat-ID-number/...

Best Regards,
Denis

CSV-blocked-2.jpg

@DenisHierholzer,

I would open a TAC case for this and allow support to take a look at this. It doesn't look like this should actively be blocking anything but there may be something within your configuration that is overriding what you have selected. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!