FTPS and Service - problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

FTPS and Service - problem

L4 Transporter

Hello

I have FTP server on Debian 7 (ProFTPD 1.3.1) and security rule:

2014-07-02_202605.png

and now FTPS connection works.

With "application-default" as a service FTPS sessions hangs on listing directory and sfter some time FTP client was disconected.

I'm on 6.0.2 PAN with latest updates.

Is this a normal behaviour? According to best practice we should use "application-default" as a service - but in this case we couldn't.

Please share Your opinion about that.

With regards

SLawek

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

I got response from Support,

"This issue has been addressed with latest content and threat release version, I was not able to reproduce the same issue with the new version(while I was able reproduce with threat-version: 443-2274)."

Regards

Slawek

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

L6 Presenter

Hi SLV,

Can you please put enalarged Traffic log, I think FTPS is using non-standard port here. That why "Any" is required.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L4 Transporter

FTP server using standart ports.

2014-07-02_210054.png

Hi SLV,

Yes, FTP is using standard port 21 and it must work with application-default.

However, this discussion thread was opened for  FTPS, which is different than FTP. Can you provide enlarged log for FTPS?

Regards,

Hardik Shah

What does mean "enlarged log for FTPS"?

Do You need "sh session id xxxx" output?

small  update, I'm using 1.3.4a ProFTPD.

Regards

Slawek

Hi SLV,

If you read title for this thread it says "FTPS and service - Problem". Are you referring FTP by using word FTPS?

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hello SLV,

If you want to find out root cause for issue,  than try following commands.

debug dataplane packet-diag set filter on
debug dataplane packet-diag set filter match source <Client-IP>  destination <Server-IP>
debug dataplane packet-diag set filter match destination<Client-IP> source <Server-IP>
show counter global filter packet-filter yes delta yes
Than Generate Traffic
Again execute command "show counter global filter packet-filter yes delta yes"
Regards,
Hardik Shah

Not applicable

you may want to look at the link below. FTPS is not a regular FTP

How to Allow FTPS/FTPES Traffic Through the Firewall

FTP uses 21 port

FTPS will use 443 port.

Applipedia doesn't have application name as FTPS.

L7 Applicator

Look at your Ubuntu proftpd.conf file and confirm what port is configured as the listening port for the traffic.  These are frequently on non-standard ports which mean you can't use application default.  You can use any or the better option of the specific port that is configured.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Hello

Only one option related to ports is:

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.

Port                            21

FTPS uses the same port as a FTP (look onto my screenshot) and above configurations. Applipedia dosn't have dedicated app because its a regular FTP tunneled in SSL (according to my knoweladge)

With regards

Slawek

In that case FTPS is SSL running on port 25, hence you must need any for it to work.

Hi ,

i think you are mixing up some thinks.

FTPS is FTP with TLS encryption and uses still standard Port 21

SFTP is secure copy over ssh Protocol which uses Port 22

I don't know why hshah is talking about Port 25

FTPS should work with app FTP and app-default (actually it does in my config)

You should start a flow debug to find out whats happening.

Regards

Marco

L4 Transporter

I have problem with FTPS I know what it is and differences between SFTP and FTPS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTPS

Regards

Slawek

Ok,

FTPS (with client Option explicit over TLS) should work with app FTP and App default.

You should start a flow debug to find out whats happening.

Regards

Marco

• 1 accepted solution
  • 20 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!