general question to aggregate group

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

general question to aggregate group

L4 Transporter

Hi all!
When I create an aggregate group, there is the possibility to enable LACP.

But when I don't enable LACP, which ethernet standard is enabled then?

Does the firewall utilize bandwith over all links as in LACP?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

Link Aggregation without LACP uses a session hash to load balance over the member interfaces for that group. It uses the full bandwidth available in the group.

The risk of this is that if you don't use LACP and one of the member interfaces goes down, sessions will continue to be forwarded to that interface (based on the hash), blackholing traffic.

So you can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it 🙂

L2 Linker

gwesson is right, the pan uses a hash algorithm, you can find details here: 

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClV5CAK

But I do not agree with link loss. When the firewall detects a link is down, it will not be used any more.

Anyway it is better to use LACP. As this actively exchanges information over the links this can help when a link is up but does not really forward traffic. If this is the case it gets removed from the LACP group. 

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!