Getting around url redirects and safe search

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Getting around url redirects and safe search

L1 Bithead

Hello,

I'm fighting a losing battle trying to get forced safe search working.  I'm currently trying to put a dans guardian and squid filter on the outside of my PA to handle just searches to as many search engines as I can find redirects for.  

Has anyone else tried to do this or anything like it?  There has got to be a better way to handle safe searches than what I'm doing.

Thanks

Mike

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

According to this page google, yahoo and bing uses safesearch by get-request:

http://www.safesquid.com/html/portal.php?page=137

Google: &safe=active

Yahoo: &vm=r

Bing: &adlt=strict

So im thinking if its possible to create custom-appids which are based on lets say google-search but you add that the get-query must contain &safe=active (in the end of the line) and then only allow this custom_google-search for urls with *.google.* as url?

However as long as you allow various anonymizers the clients can still bypass your restriction.

Did you try to contact the app-id team at PaloAlto to see if they can create a better appid which would only allow safe-searches?

Hi,

I did contact support and was re-directed to a few support documents/pages that had different rules in them and they worked but they didn't re-write the url it just put a block page up if it wasn't safe search.  Unfortunately that won't work in our environment.

Thanks

Mike

Then unfortunately I think your current option is to implement a device similar to safesquid to do the rewriting of the urls.

Check this thread (among others) regarding placing a webproxy inline with a PA-device:

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!