Global Protect Enforcement Bypass

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Global Protect Enforcement Bypass

L2 Linker

Hi All,

I understand that this is a Microsoft related matter however I'm interested to see if anyone else has come across this issue.

With Global Protect Network Enforcement in place (through the Portal Config), it is still possible for local admins to end the 'GlobalProtect service' (PanGPS.exe) Windows Task and bypass the connection enforcement control.

The obvious solution here is to lock down the Private and Public Windows Firewall - I'm just curious if anyone else has come across this issue.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

I'm sure that when enforce is enabled, stopping the PANGps service does not bypass the setting. the only way is to disable GP within the client. (if allowed by GP App config).

have you tested this...

Yes, tested multiple times now with the above result.

As soon as the service is stopped, traffic flows directly out of the local interface (even though enforce is enabled).

OK I'm gonna test this but also are you set to user logon (Always On) in the app?

Nope, deffo works for me.  

i ran tracert to the beeb to make sure it was going via GP tunnel, I then ran a constant ping to bbc.co.uk and stopped the service, result below...  FYI. I restarted the service, GP reconnected and got replies (as expected).

MickBall_0-1624011550058.png

L7 Applicator

@Josh990 

With users that are local admins any restriction anyway is kind of useless as there almost always is a way to bypass these restrictions. So in my eyes users with adminrights is a way bigger "problem" than the enforcer not working correctly in your situation. For example the user could simply change the routing table and the traffic also bypasses the vpn - which also wouldn't be possible for a normal user.

Anyway back to topic, which GP version do you use? Is enforcing GP enabled for all portal configs you have and if not, did you check that the users match the right config where enforcing GP really is enabled?

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!