GlobalProtect error message mfc120.dll is missing during upgrade

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect error message mfc120.dll is missing during upgrade

L2 Linker

We have recently rolled out GlobalProtect version 3.1.1 and have started to see the following error message on some users machines during the upgrade: "The program can't start because mfc120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem."  The program mentioned is PanGPS.exe.

The file mfc120.dll is part of one of the Microsoft visual c++ redistributable packages.  Up until the GlobalProtect upgrade, the VPN client was running fine.

I can't see why a GlobalProtect upgrade would somehow delete the dll, but I can't find another reason that particular file would somehow go missing only during that precise moment of an upgrade in progress.

Once that message pops up, the only way to fix it is to re-install the c++ package, uninstall GlobalProtect, then re-install the new GlobalProtect (you cannot even uninstall GlobalProtect until that dll is restored).

Has anyone else had this problem?  Have you found the cause of the missing dll?  I've done some googling but haven't come up on a definitive answer...only that this issue affects a lot of different software packages, not just GlobalProtect.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

I've been having the same problem when trying to deploy Global Protect with SCCM.  From what I could find it looks to be related to installing the program with permissions that the logged on user does not have.  If you look at event viewer you will see the error in the link below.

http://support.softwaretoolbox.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3341/~/application-sid-does-not-match-con...

To add to this a little:

GP uses the credentials of whoever is currently logged into the machine during the update process, which if you value security won't be a local admin on the machine. I haven't deployed GP to large clients electing instead to keep using AnyConnect so I haven't looked that much to see if there is a way around this at all.

I imagine that if you are using SCCM you can push the new client while providing an administrators account information? I don't manage our SCCM side of things but it seems like this would be a pretty trivial thing to include as there are a lot of applications that install that will only do it if you run as an admin. 

L2 Linker

The installer for GlobalProtect 3.1.4 was removed not so long ago due to missing .dlls which caused issues with SCCM installs; sounds like this is in the same neighborhood. Issue sounds related to the installer and  I believe only PANW support can address. I'd suggest opening up a support case and reproducing the issue for support in a live session.

Any failed installs should leave a .bat file( update<something>.bat) in C:\Program Files\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect,  there might be more clues as to why the install failed within that file. 

L2 Linker

Had the same issue, unable to complete installation due to missing DLL. Tried installing and running msi as admin from the command prompt (Windows 10) to no avail. This was compounded by the issue that the GP uninstall did not work, and neither did the Windows Remove Software work. All failed because of missing DLL. 

Support suggested to download/install the following DLL package from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3138367/update-for-visual-c-2013-and-visual-c-redistributab...

After installing and rebooting (required), the installed Global Protect program began working. This resolved my issue. 

So if you are rolling out with SCCM, check that the DLL is present, if not, this is an exe file that will require a reboot, then install the GP msi. 

L0 Member

Hello there,

I think downloading and registering mfc120.dll should be able to fix the issue, If that doesn't work you might trying reinstalling or upgraring the application(If upgrade available), And it should work.

Hope that helps,

Emma

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!