GlobalProtect - Multiple Gateways on One IP Address

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect - Multiple Gateways on One IP Address

L1 Bithead

Good day,

Our PA-500 is currently on PANOS 7.0.5-h2. We want to configure GlobalProtect - Multiple Gateways using the same IP Address. Is this possible?

We tried to follow the instructions here:    http://dsg0.com/t/palo-alto-networks-globalprotect-with-multiple-gateways-on-one-ip-address/122       but we are getting an error that the GlobalProtect client cannot connect to XX.XX.XX.XX:1111 or XX.XX.XX.XX:2222 or XX.XX.XX.XX:3333.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

BTG-charlie

9 REPLIES 9

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Any reason why you are trying to follow that guide in particular? This was more of a 'hack' to get around the licensing requipments up until 7.0.0. 

Really I think that at this point you should be looking to customize your network settings on the client configuration if you are doing this for security reasons. You can assign different users different IP pools and create security policies and access routes based on the username recieved from the portal. Therefore you could have Employees recieve 172.16.1.0 and Contractors at 172.16.2.0 and IT staff at 172.16.3.0 and just build out rules based on that, all while utilizing one gateway. 

Or AD groups instead of IP ranges, but either will work.

Hi BPry and Otakar.Klier,

We aim to configure different Authentication Profiles option (LDAP & RADIUS) to the same set of users. We also aim to provide SplitTunnel config and FullTunnel config to the same set of users. The aim is to produce a total of 4 available Gateway choices to users as follows:

a.   LDAP - SplitTunnel

b.  LDAP - FullTunnel

c.  RADIUS - SplitTunnel

d.  RADIUS - FullTunnel

All of the 4 configuration above will apply to the same set of users and will only be available to One IP Address.

Is this possible?

BTG-charlie,

The creating of these profiles is possible all within the same Global Protect Portal and Global Protect Gateway.  We are doing this.

Domain users - full tunnel, limited internal network access, HIP checks, OS based

Domain admins - full tunnel, all internal networks access, HIP checks, OS based

Domain vendors - split tunnel, specific internal network access, no HIP checks, OS based

Firewall user vendors - split tunnel, specific internal network access, no HIP checks, OS based

Mobile domain users - split tunnel, specific internal access, HIP checks, iOS based

(each of these groups is provided a separate 1918 space IP range for easier Security Policy management)

The only part that you stated that worries me is doing different connection types with the same users.  We are basing this on OS type and user credentials (security groups, firewall groups, or specific users).  You will not be able to have one user that can log in using the same computer/device and the same user credentials to different VPN groups/profiles on the same IP using one portal/gateway or multiple portals/gateways.  A HIP check will also not help with this as it is a pass/fail criteria and does not allow you to move down to the next connection in the list.

If you go to Network -> Global Protect -> Portals -> GP_Profile -> Agent -> this is where you will create all the profiles I listed above.

The same is the case for Network -> Global Protect -> Gateways -> GP_Profile -> Agent -> Client Settings -> match the profiles created in the Portals.

Once both of those are created you will use Security Policies to control the access that the VPN clients get.  Again we do this based on VPN IP, Domain Security Groups, Firewall Groups, Users, and HIP checks.

Hope that is helpful.

Brian

Hi BrianRa,

Are you using an HA-pair PA-500 firewall? What additional licenses did you procure to make this feature work?

Your worries actually detract from the actual concern of this forum posting query. I simply removed mentioning about usage of Windows security groups on the said 4 remote-access VPN connection profiles. This can be done at a later stage once the actual problem which is multiple gateway config on 1 IP Address has been resolved.

As of now, regardless of how many security groups I make, this is still not working. If you can share some config 'workarounds' that you have made to make this work, then that would be helpful.

BTG-charlie,

Sorry, no we are using HA-pair PA-3000 firewalls.  We do have the "GlobalProtect Portal" license.  But from what I understand that should not be required for this to work (PAN techs clarify??).  That should be more related to MDM, HIP checks, etc.  I may be wrong because we wanted those features out of the gate so I have not configured the PA OS without that license.

I was told that configuring multiple Portals/Gateways on one IP was not possible.  That is why we used the Agent profiles within the same Portal/Gateway.
What you are trying to do (if I understand correctly) should be possible with one Portal/Gateway and multiple Agents.
Network -> GlobalProtect -> Portals -> <Portal_Profile> -> Agent -> <an agent for each type of user>
Network -> GlobalProtect -> Gateways -> <Gateway_Profile> -> Agent -> Client Settings -> <matching config and name for each Portal agent>

Once those have been created (under the gateways you will set different IP ranges for each) you will build Policies that allow traffic from those IP ranges to your other Zones/Interfaces.
First create the Policy Based Forwarding rules.
    VPN IPs to DMZ,External,Trusted,etc
Then create the Security rules.
    VPN Group1/IP Range/Security Group/Users to Trusted/IP Range/Zone using Applications/Services.
    Trusted/IP Ranges/Zone to VPN Group1/IP Range using Applications/Services.
 These are just examples of rules but it is the general concept.
Brian

@BTG-charlie,

Correct me if I'm wrong but what you are essentially looking to do is create different 'connection profiles' like you would on the ASA? Unfortunately @BrianRa is correct, the proper way to accomplish this is to setup multiple different agent configurations, and unfortunately I don't believe that you're going to be able to use the agent configurations if you want all users to get the option to switch between them. 

BrianRa,

Are you using different External Gateway Addresses (FQDN) for each of the Portal Agent profiles, or are they all using the same one?  Just wondering if it would be necessary or even helpful in this scenario.  We are looking at deploying a similar type of configuration that you have described.  

thanks,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

With regards to split-tunnel. I recommend only Full tunnels. Its the only way to make sure the PAN is scanning all traffic to/from VPN clients and is a finding on pretty much all compliance models.

Regards,

• 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!