GlobalProtect Windows Client Persistent Breaks

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect Windows Client Persistent Breaks

L2 Linker

Hi!

We have on ongoing issue with Windows users trying to use the Globalprotect client (up to 5.0.3 now) resulting in up to 30% of the clients persistently breaking with a driver issue[0] which has gone on long enough that we're considering using another VPN gateway. Yes it's been raised (nearly a year ago now).

Some questions :-

a) Are others seeing this at all?

b) Are there third party VPN clients that work reliably and will connect to the GlobalProtect portal/gateway?

0: The standard fix for the corrupt driver sometimes seems to work, sometimes works once (but immediately corrupts again). 

4 REPLIES 4

L7 Applicator

hi @MikeMeredith , we do have disconnect issues on occasions but none that are due to, or relate to, a corrupt driver, what driver are you referring to..?

Hi!

The driver that comes with the GlobalProtect client (the PanGP virtual adapter interface). One workaround that was suggested can be found at https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cm5eCAC - but for some of our users, it keeps happening to the point that they give up with the VPN. 

OK just read the article, I have never seen this behaviour and have used GP for about 5 years with many windows and IOS flavours for almost 6000 users and have never experienced this.  sorry  i cannot offer a solution, it must be driving you crazy...

you can use other VPN clients but only for X-Auth. (direct connection to the gateway) so you do not get the benefits of portal agent config settings.  try using OpenConnect. 

Left this dangling all that time ago.

The problem was fixed by upgrading to GlobalProtect 5.0.8 (I think). There was a problem with replacing the relevant driver - presumably something unknown was holding onto it preventing the upgrade from occurring. The 'fix' was for the client to replace the driver on a reboot if it wasn't right. Or something roughly along those lines - I'm not a Windows person.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!