GP 4.1 msiexec syntaxes broken...?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GP 4.1 msiexec syntaxes broken...?

L1 Bithead

So,

While testing GP 4.1 I came accross the following issue:

As per the admin guide for GP msi deployment, you can deploy the client using the following syntaxes:

msiexec.exe /i GlobalProtect.msi /quiet PORTAL=”portal.acme.com”

When doing this on the 4.1 client, I had 2 cases where the client installs using "portal.acme.com" as a portal address, but including the brackets! So it ends up in the registry as "portal.acme.com" instead of just portal.acme.com.

Obviously the client tries to resolve that, but fails to do so and ends up in a sort of endless loop of trying to connect, which brings me to the 2nd problem I found with msiexec syntaxes.

As per the admin guide, you can install the client and change the default "always-on" mode to "on-demand" mode, which we prefer. We want the user to initate the 1st connection manually after installing the client, for various reasons, one being our MFA setup. 

The syntax to do so is installing the client using the CONNECTMETHOD=”on-demand":

msiexec /i GlobalProtect64-4.1.0.msi /quiet PORTAL=”portal.acme.com” CONNECTMETHOD=”on-demand”

When doing this on the 4.0.x clients, the client install quietly, and just sits there doing nothing. On the 4.1 client it immediately starts connecting to the portal to get the config, which is not what we want. So it looks like 4.1 is ignoring the "on-demand" parameter, despite it does show up in the registry, albeit it shows "on-demand" in the registry, so we might be dealing with the same brackets problem.

Anybody else experience problems using msiexec to deploy the 4.1 client? 

A-

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!