HA config

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

HA config

L0 Member

Did I unstand it right, that the PaloAlto firewalls doesn't need virtual and self-ip-addresses for HA?

I just watched the HA config video, but there was no part for configuring the layer 3 interfaces for HA. At the moment we use checkpoint firewalls and therefor we need at least 3 ip-addresses for each subnet:

Example: 192.168.1.1 virtual IP

192.168.1.2 firewall-1

192.168.1.3 firewall-3

All traffic is routed to the virtual IP 192.168.1.1.

How does it work on PaloAlto devices?

Thanks for helping!

Gernot

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L0 Member

As far as I know,

during a device or link failover, the cluster renegotiates to select a new primary unit using the same criteria as the initial negotiation.

The cluster protocol assigns a virtual MAC address to all of the primary unit interfaces. The primary unit sends special ARP packets to update the switches connected to the cluster interfaces with this MAC address change. The switches update their MAC forwarding tables with MAC address change. As a result, the switches send all network traffic to the primary unit.

I suppose this, because I didn't find anywhere a specific documentation.

Anyway, you don't need three IP addressess (2 physical and 1 virtual) as you need in Check Point. You have to configure one cluster unit ONLY, with real and routable IP addresses, the second unit is transparent to you: HA1 control link will share the configuration with the second unit.

Hope this help you! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L0 Member

As far as I know,

during a device or link failover, the cluster renegotiates to select a new primary unit using the same criteria as the initial negotiation.

The cluster protocol assigns a virtual MAC address to all of the primary unit interfaces. The primary unit sends special ARP packets to update the switches connected to the cluster interfaces with this MAC address change. The switches update their MAC forwarding tables with MAC address change. As a result, the switches send all network traffic to the primary unit.

I suppose this, because I didn't find anywhere a specific documentation.

Anyway, you don't need three IP addressess (2 physical and 1 virtual) as you need in Check Point. You have to configure one cluster unit ONLY, with real and routable IP addresses, the second unit is transparent to you: HA1 control link will share the configuration with the second unit.

Hope this help you! 🙂

That is correct - the specific arp used is called a gratuitous arp or GARP for short Smiley Wink

Thanks

James

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!