Heartbeat Backup showing down on both HA peers

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Heartbeat Backup showing down on both HA peers

L3 Networker

I have an active passive configuration which seems to be working and has failed over successfuly in the past (possibly a year ago).  According to the PA docs I read the heart beat is a ping that runs every 1000ms.  I assume since the heartbeat backup is down on both that if the active firewall were to break right now ther would be no failover correct?Active.PNGPassive.PNG

where I got my info...

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-1/pan-os-admin/high-availability/ha-concepts/failover

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

No you should be OK because the backup link is optional, you can go to device/high availability/control link HA1 backup and remove it if not using it.

Hello

I also have the same issue on a pair of PA-850s in Active/Passive. I am using dedicated HA1 and H2 links, but for backup HA1 and backup HA2; I am using dataplane ports ethernet1/2 and ethernet1/4. What do I do in this case that the heartbeat backup shows down?

I did flip the MGT port to dhcp and now it is ignored. I guess you need to use the MGT port for heartbeat backup. All good then!

You can either use Management port  as  heartbeat backup or Dedicated Data link port.

To use Management port as Heartbeat backup you need to go under

Device

High Availability

Election settings

Check the heartbeat backup.

If you want to use dedicated Data link port for heart beat backup then you can leave the above settings as unchecked.

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L0 Member

Add the management ip addresses to the permitted ip addresses on both ends, it should bring it up

Device-Setup-Interfaces-Management then add the management ip addresses to the permitted list

Cheers

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!