How perform a packet capture with a filter for subnet or a vlan-id

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How perform a packet capture with a filter for subnet or a vlan-id

L3 Networker

Hi,

I need capture some traffic for a specific subnet ( or vlan tag) .

With "debug dataplane packet-diag set filter match" I can only put a single ip's but not subnet.
Neither a vlan-tag can be added in a filter.

Is there any way to do this ?

Tx.

3 REPLIES 3

Retired Member
Not applicable

If you have vlans assigned to unique sub-interfaces then you can use sub-interface name in your packet-diag filter. However, I should point out that our packet-diag feature is meant as a debugging tool. The filters are meant to key on very specific traffic to debug specific traffic problems. It is not meant to be a true pcap capture tool. There can be a performance and stability penalty if you are capturing too much traffic in packet-capture in packet-diag mode. Ideally it would be better to do port-mirror on the switch if you wish to capture entire subnets or specific vlans.

Regards

-Richard

Hi Richard,

thanks for your update, but it seems like that only hardware interfaces are supported ( no logical interfaces neither subinterfaces. )

so still no solution for this.

@Bart

if you wish to see this debugging feature enhanced you need to talk to your sales team and have them file a feature request on your behalf. The current features do not support the functionality that you are looking for.

-Benjamin

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!