How to allow GRE protocol 47 through Palo Alto FW?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to allow GRE protocol 47 through Palo Alto FW?

L2 Linker

Dear Friends, 

I'd be grateful if you could help me with this ...

I'd like to allow GRE traffic (protocol 47) through my Palo Alto FW. I want to allow all the GRE traffic through and not terminate a GRE tunnel on the PA itself. Appologies if this is simple, please can someone point out how I can do this? Do I need to create a FW policy to allow GRE protocol 47? Any suggestions or any documents references would be much appreicated.

DP

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jedi_D,

You should simply have to allow the application 'gre' to traverse the firewall across the required zones. 

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

@Jedi_D,

The GRE application should already be defined if you are running at least a somewhat currently version of Applications and Threats. You should be fine with leaving the service as application-default. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jedi_D,

You should simply have to allow the application 'gre' to traverse the firewall across the required zones. 

Capture.PNG

Thank you for your help and response Bpry,

Is this application already available or should I define one? Also please could you suggest what the service should be? Could it be "service-default"? 

Thanks and regards,

@Jedi_D,

The GRE application should already be defined if you are running at least a somewhat currently version of Applications and Threats. You should be fine with leaving the service as application-default. 

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!