How to configure TMG's FTP over HTTP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to configure TMG's FTP over HTTP

L0 Member

Hello all, I'm currently migrating a TMG to Palo and have come across a rule that uses the protocol "FTP over HTTP".  I'm not a TMG expert so the above is about all I know of the rule - that and what Mr Google tells me.

Any idea how to configure this rule in to the Palo (the customer does not want to simply open port 80 - plus with a command and ftp-data port it is likely not that simple)?

Many thanks

Robert

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

Hey Robert,

Welcome to the community!

So, ftp-over-HTTP is accessing the server in the browser by ftp:// instead of http://. An example would be - ftp://speedtest.tele2.net/ 

This shows a page like the below:

robert.JPG

Palo Alto is smart enough to recognize the underlying application which is 'ftp'. The logs from my attempt:

robert2.JPG

Now, most FTP servers do (and imo should) function as 'Passive' server. Meaning, the client would make the data connection after the control connection, which is what's shown in the screenshot above. 

If the FTP server is in Active state, then you'd have to allow inbound connection from the server to the client. FYI - I am assuming that the client is behind the firewall and the FTP server is outside somewhere in the www.

Regards,

Anurag

================================================================
ACE 7.0, 8.0, PCNSE 7

Anurag, thanks for taking the time to repsonse. Reading your response I'm still not sure how this ends up being configured on the Palo.

Do I need to create an applcation override for this ( https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/How-to-Create-an-Application-Override-fo... ) or can I somehow just do it via basic firewall rule parameters?

Thanks!

Robert

Hi Robert

This can be done with a basic firewallrule. Simply add source zone/address and destination zone/address and then ftp as application with application-default as service and your done. (FTP over HTTP on a TMG is, if my short google search was correct, nothing else than a normal FTP connection opened in Internet Explorer or another browser)

Regards,

Remo

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!