How to find active high bandwidth user

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to find active high bandwidth user

L4 Transporter

If a Palo Alto firewall is experiencing high throughput, what's the best way to find the source user/IP while the high throughput is occurring?

We have all of our security policies set to log on session end, so that traffic log wouldn't help since the session would still be open.

The Session Browser kind of helps, but the inability to filter for time and the maximum size for the "bytes" filter being 1GB makes it so I still need to comb through a lot of open sessions.

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Hi,

For the source users, you can go in the Network tab, then click on QoS on the left and click on the Statistics link of the interface you want to inspect. In the popup window, click on the Source Users tab and you should see recent egress bandwidth per user. You probably guessed it will only work if QoS is activated on the corresponding interface. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Regards,

Benjamin

L7 Applicator

I highly recommend that you start in the ACC. (second tab in the GUI)

Make sure that you adjust the time, choose bytes and then how many lines and hit the green arrow to the right ->

acc1.png

From there you can continue to drill down on the application, then the user, etc, etc, it will be very telling, and you will find yourself coming back to the ACC a lot after this.

I hope this helps,

Joe Delio

Community Team

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!