How to REJECT instead of DROP?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to REJECT instead of DROP?

Not applicable

Try as I might, I cannot find a way to do the equivalent of the venerable iptables target REJECT --with-icmp-ureachable or --with-tcp-reset for basic firewalling on a 4020.

This is handy for bouncing internal clients quickly, whereas DROP is better to make things slower for adversaries who are scanning our nets from outside.

For example. If I want to prevent smtp/ntp/dns attempts for our internal clients, thus forcing them through the relevant internal services, I don't expect them to have to wait for a timeout, when a simple reject rule can speed things along for them.

It seems the two targets available for basic layer 3 firewalling are simply allow, or drop. Why no reject?

I hope someone knows how. If this is the wrong forum I apologise, but I expect this is a missing feature. I feel it's quite a basic essential.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Priyan -

The deny action used in a security policy will either ‘drop’ or ‘drop-reset’ based on the app being used in the policy.

For most browser-based apps, it is drop-reset - this prevents the browser from spinning while retrying.

For client-server apps that are based on http (or other protocols that we have decoders for), we generally use drop-reset if the app is considered harmless. We don't currently support icmp-host-unreachable for udp/icmp but it is on the cards.

Srinivas

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

L4 Transporter

Priyan -

The deny action used in a security policy will either ‘drop’ or ‘drop-reset’ based on the app being used in the policy.

For most browser-based apps, it is drop-reset - this prevents the browser from spinning while retrying.

For client-server apps that are based on http (or other protocols that we have decoders for), we generally use drop-reset if the app is considered harmless. We don't currently support icmp-host-unreachable for udp/icmp but it is on the cards.

Srinivas

Not applicable

Hello,

any news on this topic ? I would to see this implemented, I have some special conditions where it would help.

Regards

Not applicable

I would also like the ability to select the type of drop manually.

L0 Member

We'd also like to select the type of deny. In some cases, we need to explicitity send RESET instead simply DROP the packet.

I would also like to place myself in this feature-line regarding ability to (per security rule) define if the traffic should be denied (drop) or rejected (drop-reset). Perhaps it could be called just "deny" vs "deny-rst" in the gui.

Would also be nice to be able to define if icmp-unreachable should be sent or not.

I also need the ability to select the type of drop manually.

"We don't currently support icmp-host-unreachable for udp/icmp but it is on the cards."

Any news about this feature ?

The same here...

It is disastrous how much time I've spend on debugging timeouts...

tcp-reject from internal net to external/between zones is a must !

Best regards,

Pawel

I second this.  This is a huge oversight on part of Palo Alto.  One neat feature of ScreenOS is the ability to specify RST on a per-zone basis...

You mention that there is work in progress to provide further options for reject. I didn't see anything specific mentioned in the 6.0 release notes. Can you tell me whether there have been any improvements upon this?  We also require the ability to set a specific reject for a particular policy.  We'd like to let some things remain drop, but for specific subnets that we still want to block, we'd like to do a reject.

L4 Transporter

What happens when the drop rule has both application and service set to "any"? Drop or reject?

Hello,

Any news about this topic?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!