How to remove disconnected firewall from Panorama

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to remove disconnected firewall from Panorama

L1 Bithead

We have a Panorama that still has the configuration for a Firewall that was removed. I have tried going through other posts and pages to remove it and it is not working.
So far i have dropped it from Collector Group and Templates. But when i try to remove the Managed device from the summary i get the following message

1-Failed to delete Managed Devices <SN>

<SN> cannot be deleted because of references from:
device-group -> Managed -> devices -> <SN>

How do I remove the device from device-group?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@rwolsen,

If you go under the panorama tab there's a 'Device Groups' tab which you'll want to visit and actually remove the device from the 'Managed' group. Then you'll be able to actually remove the device under Summary.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cmd6CAC

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@rwolsen,

If you go under the panorama tab there's a 'Device Groups' tab which you'll want to visit and actually remove the device from the 'Managed' group. Then you'll be able to actually remove the device under Summary.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cmd6CAC

I was trying to remove a single entry in the shared Device group. Once i deleted the whole group i was able to remove the missing FW. I then re-created the device group without the missing FW.  I was then able to commit, well after i had to open each rule that had the missing fw listed as a target. 

Thanks. 

In some cases it may be necessary to export the configuration and remove the entries for the troublesome firewall from the XML and then reimport the configuration back into Panorama.

HTH

what they don't say is that to "delete from Templates" you go to Templates and uncheck the firewall you wish to delete, then click OK. No Delete button.

Then to to Device Groups and uncheck the firewall there too.

Then back to Managed Devices and your firewall should now be in a separate unassociated group where you can finally check the box and then choose Delete

This was the answer I needed. I just need to remove devices from Device Groups and Templates so that I can delete the firewall from the Managed Devices Summary. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!