How to retrieve and use Data Collection for Global Protect?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to retrieve and use Data Collection for Global Protect?

L2 Linker

Q: I'm using a PA-3020; is there any default data collection gathered with the GlobalProtect VPN client/agents, or do you have to provide custom registry keys to scan for Windows?  

And where can you actually find the information being gathered? 

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

Hi JohnQuile,

Can you specify the use-case? I'm not sure I follow your question.

Regards,

Varun

Sorry, well one example would be if I wanted to block a user from VPN. It says to go to Monitor > Logs > HIP Match and get a HostID. 

But this log section is all empty. 

When I go to Network > GlobalProtect > Portals, open the portal and look at Agent > config > Data Collection there is a checkbox on "Collect HIP Data" checked. 

So I'm not sure where the "Collect HIP Data" stuff is going, or what I can even really do with it beyond blocking a VPN client. Perhaps I want to only allow VPN with up to date AntiVirus. I'm guessing this HIP data comes into play on that as well? But I'm not seeing the connections (in the context of documentation) on how. 

you will need to add HIP objects or/and HIP profiles under Objects-GlobalProtect.

you will need the additional gateway license to use these in a policy but not sure if you need that just to see them under the Monitor-HIP Match.

HI sorry but how do I know if I have gateway license? Don't I have that already if I have a portal and GlobalProtect license?

Hi John,

Can you check if you've already activated your license? Please go through this link: https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-1/pan-os-admin/getting-started/activate-licenses-and-subs...

Regards,

Varun

Hello,

If you have your VPN users in a different zone, you can also use User-ID to block the users you dont want to VPN in. They can connect but cant go anywhere.

Just a thought.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!