Inbound SSL decryption in vWire and Tap mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Inbound SSL decryption in vWire and Tap mode

L2 Linker

Short question:

Is inbound SSL decryption possible in vWire and/or Tap mode?

Regards,

Andreas

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

Hi Andreas,

SSL Decryption is indeed possible in VWire, in both directions.

SSL Decryption is possible in TAP - but only for inbound, where you have the server certs.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

thanks for the quick reply.

I have outbound decryption working fine in vWire.

I didn't expect to get outbound decryption working in tap mode but I was hoping that it should work for inbound.

Need to debug then a bit more to get it working.

Regards,

Andreas

Good Luck!

Let us know if you need any further help

Best Regards

James

Looks like I need some additional help:

Let me first briefly describe my setup:

Internet - PAN vWire - SSG5 - SA2000

There is an incoming NAT rule forwarding traffic to port 443 directed to the SSG5 to the SA2000

I'd like to control the incoming traffic to the SA2000.

The SA 2000 is used for SSL VPN (Network Connect) and Activesync from mobile devices.

I loaded the certificate of the SA2000 to the PAN and started to decrypt inbound SSL traffic.

Originally I allowed only ssl and activesync to the SSG5. This didn't work.

When I checked the logs I saw that there was incoming web-browsing blocked to port 443

Looks like PAN first detects incoming SSL, next it sees the traffic as web-browsing and next as activesync.

My policy on the PAN has application default for the incoming services.

web-browsing on port 443 is blocked in this case.

I ended up adding an additional rule allowing web-browsing to port 443

After that activesync and network connect worked

But this is not what I want.

I'd like to allow only activesync and network connect (looks like there is no appID for Juniper Network Connect BTW)

Allowing web-browsing to port 443 leaves the door wide open for any sort of attacks.

Second question concerning outbound SSL decryption:

When I commit my config I get a warning that there is no untrust cert configured and therefore the trust cert will be used.

Any hint how to generate and load an untrusted cert to be used for outbound SSL decryption?

Regards,

Andreas

PS: I know that I probably could replace the SSG5 and SA2000 with the PAN but curently I'm missing the support for dynamic DNS.

Hello Andreas,

regarding the outbound SSL decr. cert. Optionally you can generate an untrust-cert like below

20.02.jpg

20.02-2.jpg

For the inbound SSL part I always recommend not to use APP-ID exclusively. From a security perspective this can be a bit problematic, because PA needs to pass a certain amount of traffic before it can decide on an APP-ID. This leaves a kind of an exposure.Therefore it is adviseable to use at least a service port together with an APP-ID for inbound traffic.

But this is not what I want.

I'd like to allow only activesync and network connect (looks like there is no appID for Juniper Network Connect BTW)

Allowing web-browsing to port 443 leaves the door wide open for any sort of attacks.

Since you terminate SSL on the PA Firewall you can use Threat Prevention to further protect your environment for inbound traffic.

rgds Roland

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!