Ipsec VPN to Cisco ASA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Ipsec VPN to Cisco ASA

L1 Bithead

Hi Guys,

right now we are trying to setuop a ipsec vpn between out palo alto 4.0.7 box and a cisco asa 8.2 box ..

Cause we are running into troubles whithin the ike setup, i would like to know the following:

1. How can i debug the vpn setup in the pa ? I'm used to ASA's but this is my first vpn setup on a PA. I want to check why the tunnel does not come up (i did the setup regarding to the documentation)

2. I found the follwing as fixed in the release note of 4.1.6:

39844 – IPSec VPN tunnel not coming up when Palo Alto Networks firewall initiates a connection to a Cisco ASA device.

Is it possible that im hitting that bug ? In which software version was this bug introduced ?

Many thanks,
Christian

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

You should see log entries including attempts to make connections in Monitor-->Logs-->System

To test a IPSec tunnel, from the command line on the PA,

clear vpn ike-sa gateway <name of IKE Gateway in Network-->Network Profiles-->IKE Gateways>

clear vpn ipsec-sa tunnel <name of IPSec tunnel in Network-->IPSec Tunnels>

test vpn ipsec-sa tunnel <name of IPSec tunnel in Network-->IPSec Tunnels>

We've only encountered bug #39844 in PAN-OS version 4.1.5.

L5 Sessionator

This document  https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1328 gives a sample configuration between PAN and Cisco ASA.

You can also look at the ike manager logs to get more info:

less mp-log ikemgr.log

Hi,

thanks for both answers.

After reading the guide und checking the logs the vpn tunnel is up and running now.

The asa admin disabled the isakmp keepalive settings at his box and i configured a proxy id in the ipsec tunnel cause the asa uses policy-based vpns instead of rotue based vpn's.

Many thanks for your helps.

Best regards,

Christian

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!