Is it possible and OK to disable user cert caching?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Is it possible and OK to disable user cert caching?

L1 Bithead

After revoking a cert being for GP, the device is still able to connect. I found that it is cached somehow. So is it possible and OK to disable the caching of user certs for authentication?

> show system setting ssl-decrypt setting

vsys                          : vsys1
Forward Proxy Ready           : yes
Inbound Proxy Ready           : yes
Disable ssl                   : no
Disable ssl-decrypt           : no
Notify user                   : no
Proxy for URL                 : no
Wait for URL                  : no
Block revoked Cert            : yes
Block timeout Cert            : no
Block unknown Cert            : no
Cert Status Query Timeout     : 5
URL Category Query Timeout    : 5
Use Cert Cache                : yes
Verify CRL                    : yes
Verify OCSP                   : no
CRL Status receive Timeout    : 5
OCSP Status receive Timeout   : 5

4 REPLIES 4

L1 Bithead

or can the CRL checking be done more frequently.

Hello czetazate,

Creating a Certificate Profile

Device > Certificate Management > Certificate Profile

Use CRL

Select the check box to use a certificate revocation list (CRL) to verify the revocation status of certificates.

Use OCSP

Select the check box to use OCSP to verify the revocation status of certificates.

note: If you select both OCSP and CRL, the firewall first tries OCSP and only falls back to the CRL method if the OCSP responder is unavailable.

Checking the "use CRL" option should be sufficient.  The caveats would be, that if the firewall can not get to the CRL imbedded in the certificate, it would be considered valid.  Also, if there is no CRL in the certificate, same behavior.  You can check your "service routes"(by default the MGMT port), and make sure that the firewall can get to the CRL to check the certificate status

The certificate will usually tell where its corresponding CRL is hosted.

You can find out from the cert where the CRL is hosted as follows:

crl.png

Ensure there is connectivity to the CRL link (check for general http/https connectivity, inline web proxies etc)

If it is an http link, you can simply pcap on the mgmt interface going to the IP where the CRL is hosted to check if the CRL is being downloaded or not.

> debug sslmgr view crl [CRL URL]

> debug sslmgr statistics

sslmgr statistics              Count

------------------------------ -----------

Cert-status request lost       0

Cert-status request received   0

Cert-status request processed  0

Certificates revoked by CRL    0

Certificates revoked by OCSP   0

Certificates confirmed by CRL  0

Controlling GlobalProtect VPN Access with OCSP

How to Configure an OCSP Responder

Hi dmaynard, yes I did see the document and confirmed that the CRL is reachable and I can see the CRL that is loaded onto the firewall. The problem is that it stays there unless you run a series of commands. I can't remember exactly the sequence but I had to delete the CRL and then kept trying to connect (which kept succeeding) but eventually I managed to get the client or firewall to check the CRL. So now, I'd like to either disable the caching, adjust the timeout period when the next CRL check is or somehow force the firewall to grab a new CRL.

L1 Bithead

I've confirmed that certificates are cached.

The command to show the cache is

show system setting ssl-decrypt certificate-cache

To delete the cache certs then issue.

debug dataplane reset ssl-decrypt certificate-cache

But what I really want is to turn off caching altogether so that if I revoke a cert, the user can't connect anymore.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!