cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Just getting started, looking for "mentor-like advice"

L0 Member

Hello all--
I'm a long time data person.  I'm very good with native SQL, MS Access, MySQL, Tableau, PowerBI, R, and a novice with D3.

So I understand how to use data very well.

I have done some training in Network Technology and definitely understand the basics.
If I wanted to get into the space of either: server monitoring for small clients, or running threat reports using the kind of data output that Wireshark generates, what would you say the market is like?  I recognize that there could be a lot of competition everywhere because we all need to eat.  But perhaps there are places where there is need, but not a lot of people jumping in.
I need help shaping my interest in using my analysis and general computer skills into something more marketable-- especially if I can do it remotely.  Is there enough pie to go around?  Thank you for any advice you are willing to contribute--or for getting a conversation going.

1 REPLY 1

Community Team Member

Hi @Digital_Avenger ,

It's great to hear about your background in data and your interest in transitioning into a new area within the IT and cybersecurity field. Both server monitoring and threat analysis using data from tools like Wireshark can be valuable and in-demand skills, and there is definitely a market for them.

Small to medium-sized businesses often lack the resources for dedicated IT staff, making remote server monitoring services highly valuable.  Cybersecurity is a growing concern for organizations of all sizes. Threat intelligence and analysis are critical components of modern security operations. As you already pointed out, tools like Wireshark generate valuable data for investigating security incidents and identifying potential threats.

The IT industry, including server monitoring and threat analysis, has seen a significant increase in remote work options. Many businesses are open to hiring remote professionals, which can expand your job prospects and allow you to work from anywhere.

To make yourself more marketable, consider building a portfolio showcasing your skills. Create case studies or projects that demonstrate your ability to provide value through server monitoring or threat analysis. Network within the industry by attending cybersecurity conferences, joining online forums, and connecting with professionals in the field. As a data-savvy professional, you could consider offering consulting or freelance services. Many businesses are open to hiring experts on a project basis rather than hiring full-time staff.

The IT and cybersecurity fields are dynamic, so continuous learning is essential. Stay updated on the latest trends, threats, and technologies to remain competitive.

I certainly believe there is a demand for professionals with expertise in server monitoring and threat analysis, and your data skills can be a valuable asset in these fields. By enhancing your knowledge and networking within the industry, you can position yourself for a successful transition into these roles, potentially working remotely and enjoying "a share of the pie" in these growing markets.

Kind regards,

-Kim.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!