LDAP (Active directory) Authentication for administrators

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

LDAP (Active directory) Authentication for administrators

L4 Transporter

Hi,

Im trying to configure my PA to validate with my AD to can manage it. I have create a group in my Active Directory called (com_cos), this group has the user to manage the PA. I have add this group in Group mapping and Authentication profile (Allowlist) but it seems like the PA has any problem with the group in AD.

This is output error: User 'csg.es\as' failed authentication. Reason: User is not in allowlist From: 172.16.28.133.

I attach the config

Best regards,

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

L5 Sessionator

Can you try using the netbios name i.e just cgs under the domain filed in your LDAP server profile.

I tried it and it didnt work Smiley Sad .....

try to refresh group mapping

clear all user cache

1- clear user-cache   and  clear user-cache-mp

2- debug user-id refresh group-mapping all

try again.

i jus tried and not working Smiley Sad

this is the error output

User 'CSG\jeca' failed authentication. Reason: User is not in allowlist From: 172.16.28.135.

do i need to configure something in AD in order to PA can read the groups????

write a security rule for that group

after commit look for the user information from cli if you see the group or not

show user ip-user-mapping ip

L5 Sessionator

With LDAP,you would have to define each user in  the AD group ,on the firewall ,as an Administrator.

For  AD group-based Authentication ,you can use Radius Refer: Radius Vendor Specific Attributes (VSA)

Its not working Smiley Sad the user is assgined to the correct group.......but i dont know why its not allowed in the list

User 'CSG\jeca' failed authentication. Reason: User is not in allowlist From: 172.16.28.135.

IP address:  172.16.28.135 (vsys1)

User:        csg\jeca

Idle Timeout: 2933s

Max. TTL:    2933s

Groups that the user belongs to (used in policy)

Group(s):    cn=com_cos,cn=users,dc=csg,dc=es

Change the Allow-list to all as  AD Group_based Auth for FW Admin  is not possible using LDAP.

You can authenticate individual AD users.

So to authenticate user csg\jeca

Create a local Admin under Device>Administrators called jeca and assign it  with Auth Profile using Server profile  LDAP

Make sure you change the the Allow-list to all  in the Auth Profile

Yes i had that configuration before, but its quite annoying to create a user in PA each time that user go in the company. it would be easier that PA could auth with AD groups in this way i only would have to create the user in ldap and the PA use the LDAP group............

Ok ill revert the conf........thanks

Just to reiterate ,you can use Radius for AD-Group based Admin Authentication  Refer: Radius Vendor Specific Attributes (VSA)

L3 Networker

Hi,

I had the exact same problem with my LDAP-login.

For domain, you need to enter the Netbios name, not the FQDN, as the users are identified as domain\username, not domain.com\username.

In your case, domain should simply be "csg", not "csg.es".

When logging in I would try to first go ahead without specifying the domain, and if that doesn't work, try domain\username.

If you've been having trouble with policies based on AD-groups not working, this will also solve that problem.

Another thing I noticed is the Bind DN, this is the entire DN, and it seems like you have typed the username of the Palo Alto firewall user?

To make sure you get this right, open Active Directory Users and Computers on your Active Directory server, select the user properties and go to the Attribute Editor. (go to View, and select Advanced Features to get this option)

Copy the contents of the field distinguishedName.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

When you  try to configure this using CLI ,it clearly suggests that Only RADIUS method is supported for

for non-local admins

# set deviceconfig system authentication-profile

<value>  Authentication profile to use for non-local admins. Only RADIUS method is supported.

So if you need to use AD groups for admins not configured locally you need RADIUS.

L1 Bithead

I have a similar issue: I have several outside vendors defined as local users, they can log on to a 'captive portal' and then connect to a server in our DMZ. The users are created, enabled, and added to a user group; and also added to the users column of the policy allowing them to connect to the server - basically any source, these users, that destination, https. Of the two users I have added one is working fine but the other fails at the firewall authentication with the system log message: User '<name>' failed authentication.  Reason: User is not in allowlist From: <remote IP>.

Anyone have any ideas where I should be looking for an answer?

Thanks

Ian

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

Keep in mind that for creating new PA's admin, the amin account has to exist in your AD and you have to recreate it in the administrator menu in the palo.

Hope help.

V.

• 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!