Limit Shared Objects

Announcements

ATTENTION Customers, All Partners and Employees: The Customer Support Portal (CSP) will be undergoing maintenance and unavailable on Saturday, November 7, 2020, from 11 am to 11 pm PST. Please read our blog for more information.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Limit Shared Objects

I have 8 5060s that I manage with Panorama, I share objects between all of these devices.  I want to add a new pair of devices to Panorama that are completely separate from the other 8 and I don't want the shared objects to be on the new pair.  I also want to prevent admins of the new pair from creating shared objects that will become part of the original 8.  Is this possible?

Thanks

Rob

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Hello,

We upgraded to Panorama 5.0 and that fixed our problem.

We are still running 4.1 on all the firewalls.

Jo Christian

/Jo Christian

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Create a device group for the new devices and when creating object do not check the "Shared" checkbox. This will keep the objects in the DG and not send them to the other devices. If you create a DG Admin Role and give access to only the new DG where the new boxes reside, then the admin will not be able to create shared objects.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Thank you so much Mike for your quick response, the problem is that I already have the 8 devices (4 device groups) in Panorama which already have shared objects.  I don't want those existing shared objects to be pushed to the new devices I want to add to and manage via Panorama.

The second part of your answer makes sense, admins who only have access to a single DG can't create shared objects so objects created on the new device will not be made available to the existing systems... Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I just wish there was a way to prevent a device from accessing shared objects.

Thanks again

Rob

Highlighted
Not applicable

I think I found the answer to my own question, there is a disable shared config option when you add the Panorama IP to the new device.  DOH!

Thanks

Rob

Highlighted
Not applicable

I was wrong,  I am logged in to Panorama as a user with access to only the new devices, shared objects are still available to be used  for the devices in which I had disabled shared config. :smileysad:

Highlighted
L6 Presenter

@rob.moore:

the 'disable shared config' option disables the shared configuration that was pushed from Panorama to the target device.

-Benjamin

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Hello,

We are having an similar issue. We have lot's of address-objects (over 3000) that is shared on a Panorama installation.

We have 4 different device-groups with 3 of them containing PA-5050's.

Our problem now is that we also need to manage some PA-200's for some small installations and the PA-200 only supports a maximum of 2500 address-objects.

Is there any workaround for this problem? The PA-200's are not in the same device-groups as the PA-5050's.

Why are all the address-objects pushed to the PA-200 even if they are NOT in use in any security rules.

Jo Christian

/Jo Christian
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Christian,

I think what you (and I) need is introduced in PANOS 5.0:

Release Notes:

Share Unused Address and Service Objects with Devices – This feature allows Panorama

to share all shared objects and device group specific objects with managed devices. When

unchecked, Panorama policies are checked for references to address, address group,

service, and service group objects and any objects that are not referenced will not be

shared. This option will ensure that only necessary objects are being sent to managed

devices in order to reduce the total object count on the device. The option is checked by

default to remain backward compatible with the current functionality of pushing all

Panorama objects to managed devices.

-Alex

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Yes you are correct. This is exactly what we need :-)

The big question now is. Is version 5.0 fully backwards compatible with PanOS 4.1?

Upgrading to PanOS 5.0 is not an option for this installation.

Jo Christian

/Jo Christian
Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Yes. Panorama is backward compatible with all supported PAN-OS versions running on FWs.

This means that 5.0 Panorama can manage 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, and 5.0 devices.

https://support.paloaltonetworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=147

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!