Link types for HA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Link types for HA

L0 Member

I have a client who wants to split their PA3020 HA cluster between 2 datacenters.   What are the limitations for the HA1/HA2 interfaces in terms of distance, and network latency for active/passive HA to work cleanly.  On a 3020 can HA1/HA2 functionality be forced through an in-band interface? (not desireable,) The customer prefers a single router uplink and all traffic flowing into (L3) MPLS across to the other datacenter.

1 REPLY 1

L6 Presenter

There are no real limitations, other than the L2 (L3) connectivity.

I do the same with my 3020s and 5060s.

We have two datacenters that are geographically seprarated by OTV on Nexus 7ks.  HA1/HA2 only utilize a flat L2 VLAN across  a P2P link.  That link has around 7ms latency.  We also leverage a "heart-beat backup" so that leverages a L3 connection.

It's really just going to depend upon the configuration of your HA paramaters...Your ping response times, and Hold down timers on your HA interfaces.

If the latency across the MPLS links exceed what you've set for the HA values it's not going to work.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!