Migrate Panorama from VMware to AWS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Migrate Panorama from VMware to AWS

L2 Linker

Has anybody migrated Panorama from on prem to AWS? There are a few options that are available to us, and I am trying to decide which option is the best. Also, if you can list any "gotchas" during the migration that would benefit us, that would be really helpful.

These are the options that I see.

Option 1: 

Use SRM and our connected VMware on Cloud to move the server from our on premise Vcenter to VMware on Cloud, which is in AWS and connected to the rest of our infrastructure. This is the easiest and quickest option, but Panorama's 3-6TB of log storage can be very costly, and we will be migrating off of the VMware on Cloud Platform in 5 years anyway. 

Option 2:

Use AWS Connector for Vcenter to replicate Panorama into an Amazon EC2 instance. I don't believe this to be a recommended practice, plus I am not sure how licensing would work after this is done.

Option 3:

Deploy the Panorama BYOL AMI from the AWS Marketplace and build the AWS Panorama instance from scratch, and import the licensing, and all the firewalls and configs. This seems like the most work to do, but is recommended by PA. 

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Fr4nk4,

Option 3 is recommended, primarily because in the end it's actually the most straight-forward solution that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive as option 1 would be (between instance and storage costs, your looking at a pretty high monthly bill). I've never heard of anyone doing option 2 so I can't tell you anything about how this would work out.

There's a few things to consider when you go with option 3. Really though the biggest is that this is drastically easier if you know what you have your master key set to, as this will directly effect how much of the configuration you can simply import into the new Panorama instance and avoid any phash issues. 

L1 Bithead

has anyone done the option 3 yet? Im on 9.1.11 and my aws panorama is on 10.1.3...

any gotchaS?

cheers

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!