Monitor Memory and Filesystem usage with SNMP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Monitor Memory and Filesystem usage with SNMP

L1 Bithead

Good morning,

recently I put under monitor PA-2020, but I'm not able to read memory and Disk statistics. Do you knwo how can I get this information? It seems that host MIB is not fully accessible.

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

The PaloAlto MIB does not offer CPU load or MEM usage as a query option. I am not sure about disk usage but it may be missing as well.

Steve Krall

Than you Steve,

I know that the specific PA MIBs don't cover Memory or Disk statistics; however these features should be monitored using other generic MIBs ... I thought HOST-RESOURCES-MIB were the right ones, but it seems they doesn't return useful values for memory and disk.

Is there a way to monitor these resources? It seems almost impossible that these common parameters can't be observed with a standard SNMP monitor tool.

mc

No way, DOH!

This is the case answer from Palo Alto support:

This is currently not supported so what you can do is contact your local SE or Sales team so they can open a feature enhancement with product marketing. By doing this they will set the priority with development.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palo Alto Networks Support Team

Hi there,

There is no usable/beneficial memory information to gather via SNMP since all memory is preallocated at boot time.  This is very different than a typical server system where memory is dynamically allocated to processes.  You would basically see a straight line graph showing all memory being used and no free memory.  Not much use to that.

Disk utilization is very similar.  You never run out of disk because once it fills up, logs rotate out.  Again, you will quickly see the disk fill up and stay full forever.

Cheers,

Kelly

Ok for memory. Concerning disk I hope rotation will always work properly ... and what about core/dump file ?

Thank you for your answer

mc

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!