Moriagent malware

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Moriagent malware

L4 Transporter

Dear Team,

I don't have much idea about Moriagent malware, i got an instruction i need to create a rule or block this malware

How to stop MortiAgent Malware using snort rule?

I want to stop the MoriAgent malware by applying /using snort rule.

How to configure this in Palo alto ?

Below are snort rule.

1. The below SNORT rule can be used to detect the MoriAgent Beacon.
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:" MoriAgent Beacon
HTTP Request"; content:"/Index.php?i="; depth:200; content:"&t="; within:64;
content:"HTTP/1.1"; within:64; content:"Content-Type: application/json"; within:32;
content:"Content-Length: 0"; within:90; threshold:type limit,track by_src,count
1,seconds 120; sid:1000001; rev:001;)

Can anyone help me to understand what I need to do, I searched about this but didn't get much information.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@OtakarKlier 

Thanks. i have found the pattern of the signature.

(/Index.php?i= and &t and HTTP/1.1 and Content-Type: application/json)

In the custom signature which condition i need to follow "And" condition "OR" condition. and for the qualifier which information i need to add.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jafar_Hussain,

Check the Threat Vault at the link below for Morti and there's already two antivirus signatures for MortiAgent and a WildFire signature. If you don't find that suitable defense you'll need to look into creating your own custom threat signature.

Custom Threat Signature

Threat Vault

@BPry 

Thanks for the information.

I was unable to find MortiAgent in the PAN threat vault

It is mandatory to create a custom signature for Mortiagent malware.

I have gone through the documents which you provided. if i will create a customer signature what is the threat id we need to use.

@Jafar_Hussain,

The threat ID you select doesn't matter, as long as it's within the available range. Some people make enough to actually create a format for numbering their custom IDs, others don't follow one and simply increment with each entry.

@BPry 

Thank you for the information, i will check this.

Hello,

Make sure your PAN objects are setup for AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, URL Filtering, WildFire, and DNS Sink hole. Then make sure they are applied to all inbound/outbound policies so the traffic is inspected. Also make sure your PAN has the latest Dynamic signatures.

Having the PAN setup for this is a great way to dynamically block malicious traffic. Along with your other products, i.e. desktop antivirus, etc.

Regards,

@OtakarKlier 

Thank you for your reply. i have found two signature of mortiagent malware below is the snap:-

Jafar_Hussain_0-1594364268446.png

Apart from this. it is a mandatory to create a custom signature?

Hello,

If you have all the other security features turned on and dynamic updates working and up to date. I would say you are good, however check the endpoint AV and make sure its working and maybe even run a full scan.

Regards,

@OtakarKlier 

Thank you for the valuable information.

@OtakarKlier @BPry 

I got the instruction from the gov. i need to create a custom signature for Mortiagent. They have sent some files.

In the files, there is some IOC's:-

1 - Host base indicator( Which is mentioned some MD5 and SHA values)

2 - Network base indicator( Which is mentioned in some IP address list).

To create a custom signature which pattern and references i need to choose ? below is the snort rule:-

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:" MoriAgent Beacon HTTP Request"; content:"/Index.php?i="; depth:200; content:"&t="; within:64; content:"HTTP/1.1"; within:64; content:"Content-Type: application/json"; within:32; content:"Content-Length: 0"; within:90; threshold:type limit,track by_src,count

1,seconds 120; sid:1000001; rev:001;)

- For the IP address, i need to create an EDL to block all the IP's?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

If its a 'White' IOC notice, I wouldnt worry about it but I guess a EDL or a special policy with a block for those IP's would do.

Regards,

@OtakarKlier 

Thanks. i have found the pattern of the signature.

(/Index.php?i= and &t and HTTP/1.1 and Content-Type: application/json)

In the custom signature which condition i need to follow "And" condition "OR" condition. and for the qualifier which information i need to add.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!