Multiple Certs w/ Overlapping Expirations

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Multiple Certs w/ Overlapping Expirations

L0 Member

We have a certificate expiring and we just uploaded the new certificate to take its place. To avoid downtime, we haven't revoked the soon to expire cert and have the other one imported already. They are both in valid state.

When the first one expires, will the 2nd (new) cert "take its place" automatically? Or will there need to be some manual intervention at that time?

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@tseger,

This really depends on what you're using the certificate for. The certificate itself is a completely different object, so if your using it in a a certificate-profile it'll need to be included, or if your using it in a ssl-tls-service-profile it'll need to be updated.

If your just using it to establish certificate trust (for example like a root CA) then importing it and setting it as a trusted-root-ca then the import is really all you need. 

Thank you for the reply!

Researching this, the existing is used in a certificate profile, so I would need to switch it over.

Is there a way to do so with no downtime? As in, if I were to just change the Certificate value in the existing Certificate Management > SSL/TLS Profile to the new certificate object's name, would that be in immediate change after commiting it with no downtime/breaking live GlobalProtect users' sessions?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@tseger,

I always do these kind of changes off hours just in case, but they haven't ever caused any disruption in the past for me as long as everything is good with the new certificate. The active clients always handle it without any issue at all. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!