Multiple IP addresses on an interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Multiple IP addresses on an interface

L3 Networker

I know that I can add a second IP to my outside interface by using a /32 instead of /24 like the first one has.  My question comes in with routing.  My default route shows a 0.0.0.0/0 going out ethernet1/1.  Since this interface has 2 IPs what IP does it use for the routing?  Will it use the one with a /24 or /32.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

For routing ... none of them, your interface addresse will never appear in the routing stuff.

For NAT, depend wich IP you have selected in the Policy NAT rule.

"Normally" (don't like this word) you don't need to configure multiple IP adress on your outside interface, if you've got a router connected on it, with gratuitous arp, all your traffic should be redirected to your outside fw interface.

Exept if second IP will be used for:

GP portal / Gateway

IP for nating

V.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L5 Sessionator

Hi,

For routing ... none of them, your interface addresse will never appear in the routing stuff.

For NAT, depend wich IP you have selected in the Policy NAT rule.

"Normally" (don't like this word) you don't need to configure multiple IP adress on your outside interface, if you've got a router connected on it, with gratuitous arp, all your traffic should be redirected to your outside fw interface.

Exept if second IP will be used for:

GP portal / Gateway

IP for nating

V.

The second IP will be used for a second GP Portal, so I believe it is needed.  For NAT I am using something complete different in my range rather than eth1/1's IP.

alternatively you can add your each /32 ip address as untagged subinterface option.You can then use any for GP, and also you can use different management profile for each.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!