Multiple Virtual Routers sharing the same INSIDE zone? Possible?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Multiple Virtual Routers sharing the same INSIDE zone? Possible?

L4 Transporter

Hi.

I have my PA's running fine and dandy with my normal internet link(s) and DMZ farmed out to my edge routers without issue.

Now I have coming a requirement for a dedicated, seperate Internet link and DMZ for a special purpose with the traffic being completely isolated from my "main' links.

I want to assign two new interfaces - one for the extra DMZ required, and one for the additional Internet link - and use a different VR to link these two interfaces, with the default route for this pair or ports point to the 'new" internet link rather than my normal "default" route - however, I also want machines from my normal "inside" interface to be able to access devices in this DMZ.

Can I put the "normal" inside interface into the new VR and allow communciation between the inside and the new DMZ/Link without affecting the standard default route out my 'main" links?

Configuration something like this

VR Name : Router 1

Interfaces : Ethernet1/1 (inside)

Ethernet1/2 (outside - default route)

Ethernet1/3 (Main DMZ)

VR Name : Router-2

Interfaces : Ethernet1/1 (inside)

Ethernet1/4 (New-Internet, special-purpose route)

Ethernet1/5 (Special DMZ)

I don't want traffic from E1/2 mixing with E1/4 9I.E. all "Internet" bound traffic from E1/1 and E1/3 should default out this route), but I do to be able to get to nodes in both both E1/3 & E1/5 from the inside (E1/1) inetrface, and I want ALL internet traffic froM E1/5 to go out E1/4 instead of E1/2.

Hope this is clear enough explaination - I think I just confused myself!

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

Hi There,

This is possible:

An interface cannot be in two virtual routers - however, you can have sub-interfaces in different virtual routers.

So you can put a physical/logical interface from the new virtual router into the LAN and have routes to that IP for the new DMZ.  This interface would be on the same subnet, but different IP, to the other interface already in this LAN.

Alternatively, you can move to PAN-OS 4.0.x and make use of one of two features:

1. virtual router to virtual router routing
  2. PBF to virtual system and have the "New Network" in a new virtual system.

Thanks

James

jsherlow wrote:

Hi There,

This is possible:

An interface cannot be in two virtual routers - however, you can have sub-interfaces in different virtual routers.

So you can put a physical/logical interface from the new virtual router into the LAN and have routes to that IP for the new DMZ.  This interface would be on the same subnet, but different IP, to the other interface already in this LAN.

Alternatively, you can move to PAN-OS 4.0.x and make use of one of two features:

1. virtual router to virtual router routing
  2. PBF to virtual system and have the "New Network" in a new virtual system.

Thanks

James

James.

Thanks for that - I can manage to put another IP on the "inside" interface without too much hassle - since I don't think I'm quite ready to upgrade to PanOS 4 yet, I'll most likely run with that.

Cheers.

Good Luck Smiley Happy

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!