NGFW routing internet traffic help

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

NGFW routing internet traffic help

L1 Bithead

I am setting up a very simple PA200 implementation and all I need at this stage is to be able to contact the Palo update server to update the PanOS.  I have the FW plugged in directly from ethernet1/1 to the modem (subnet 192.168.0.1).  The gateway is pingable.  My machine is connected to the the management interface (172.16.30.35).  I have  virtual router configured to send all traffic (0.0.0.0/0) out of ethernet1/1.  I have an any/any security policy set.  I have a NAT rule (I suspect this is the problem) configured to translate the networks to each other (at least that's my intention).  I know the issue is something simple but I can't get past it. Any help would be appreciated.

ebryan_1-1625177055815.png

ebryan_0-1625176896772.png

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@ebryan 

So currently probably the firewall or at least the default-vr has internet access but not your management interface as this one is conected to your computer. The route table of the management plane is completely separated from other dataplane configurations (all the actual firewallinterfaces). In a default configuration the firewall tries to reach everything from the management interface which means the firewalls tries to download updates for example over your computer. I see now two possiblities

1. You connect the firewalls managementinterface to eth1/2. This should enable internet access for the firewall but in your current configuration you then don't have a connection to the firewall.
  2. You configure serviceroutes on the firewall. Under Device > Setup > Services > Service Features > Service Route Configuration you can specify another interface than the managementport as source for specific services like dns, paloalto updates. When you change this the firewall should be able to reach the dns servers and download the updates Screenshot_20210703-182039_Chrome.jpg

In your situation I propose to use possibility 2 and change the sourceinterface for the services that require internet access. If you do this, then a firewallpolicy is required to allow that traffic but as you already have an any-any-allow rule this shouldn't be a problem.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@ebryan,

Is your intention to make the PA-200 sit at the edge of your home network? Assuming that this is the case, your NAT statement as presently configured doesn't really make much sense unless you have a route on your modem/router (assuming you aren't talking about an actual straight modem) combo unit pointing back to your firewall. Otherwise you wouldn't have a return route pointing the traffic back to your firewall. 

Generally for a home setup your NAT statement would simply have your source-translation setup like so:

Translation Type: Dynamic IP And Port

Address Type: Interface Address

Interface: ethernet1/1

IP address: None (Assuming DHCP assignment, otherwise you can select the static address from the drop down)

What this will do is simply NAT all of the traffic through the address assigned to your ethernet1/1 address and out through the modem. This then allows your modem to know where it has to return the traffic without any additional route configuration. 

L7 Applicator

also...   have you really put your external interface into the trust zone?  if not then perhaps the NAT destination should be "untrust"

Thanks for your help. I have updated the NAT statement as such.  I'm still not getting internet connectivity, though.  What other information do you need for us to continue troubleshooting?

ebryan_0-1625222066474.png

@Mick_Ball 

Thanks for pointing that out.  I have made that correction as well.

Hi,

can you share me route table output.

you can use below steps to get it.

>network > virtual Routers><vr-name> >more runtime stats

And also try to test ( internet, security policy, ping etc) from below step.

device > Troubleshooting >

Best Regards,

Suresh

Sureshreddymudhireddy

This is my NAT.

2947E06C-E26A-4736-B657-89C41011C4F1.jpeg

If still not working then try changing the service route for updates to ethernet1/1...   if that works then perhaps an issue before it hits the NAT policy...

L5 Sessionator

If NAT and MGT addresses are correctly populated and ruled out, could it be more basic? 

Are you able to verify that you've given the MGT server a reachable DNS server?

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.12.17 PM.png

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

Hi. Here is the route table.  192.168.0.43 is the DHCP address of the FW.

ebryan_0-1625263635129.png

ebryan_1-1625263679968.png

My device is at PanOS 8.1.6 so it doesn't have the troubleshooting tools mentioned above.  

No, MGT cannot reach a DNS server.  I have manually set it to 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9.  DNS is pingable from ethernet1/1 but not from MGT

ebryan_3-1625263926254.png

ebryan_0-1625264704546.png

Is the trusted interface on the firewall 172.16.30.1/24 and is it also a member of the same virtual router as ethernet1/1.

Hang on a mo.....    you said at the first post... “My machine is connected to the the management interface (172.16.30.35)”.  If this is the case then how is the management interface going to see the palo trusted interface? Or perhaps i have misread....  

@Mick_Ball Thanks again for your help.  Yes, 172.16.30.1/24 is on the trusted interface of the firewall and a member of the same virtual router.  

ebryan_0-1625324096146.png

ebryan_1-1625324456377.png

I believe that's my problem; the management interface cannot see the trusted interface.

@ebryan 

So currently probably the firewall or at least the default-vr has internet access but not your management interface as this one is conected to your computer. The route table of the management plane is completely separated from other dataplane configurations (all the actual firewallinterfaces). In a default configuration the firewall tries to reach everything from the management interface which means the firewalls tries to download updates for example over your computer. I see now two possiblities

1. You connect the firewalls managementinterface to eth1/2. This should enable internet access for the firewall but in your current configuration you then don't have a connection to the firewall.
  2. You configure serviceroutes on the firewall. Under Device > Setup > Services > Service Features > Service Route Configuration you can specify another interface than the managementport as source for specific services like dns, paloalto updates. When you change this the firewall should be able to reach the dns servers and download the updates Screenshot_20210703-182039_Chrome.jpg

In your situation I propose to use possibility 2 and change the sourceinterface for the services that require internet access. If you do this, then a firewallpolicy is required to allow that traffic but as you already have an any-any-allow rule this shouldn't be a problem.

@Remo  has your best solution here...  but if you have a spare switch/hub then just connect ethernet1/2, management interface.. and your laptop into it...  Boom!

Thanks for your help.  I've added loopback.1 (192.168.0.1/32) to the desired service route but I'm still unable to access the updates server.  I tried the other method as well without success.  

ebryan_0-1625335279997.png

ebryan_1-1625335398832.png

• 1 accepted solution
  • 23 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!