opaque: "Disk usage exceeds limit, 98 percent in use, cleaning filesystem"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

opaque: "Disk usage exceeds limit, 98 percent in use, cleaning filesystem"

L3 Networker

Hi Guys,

What should i do? who can help me?

Thanks in advance

34 REPLIES 34

Hi SLV,

Yes you are right, 6.0.6 has some time. As suggested 6.1.0 has fix.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hi Tigran,

What did TAC say ? Did they suggested same bug and solution ?

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hi hshah,

Here is the answer

Hi Tigran,

Thank you for calling Palo Alto Networks. It was nice talking with you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Faced: Storage space on "/" partition was 98%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steps Taken:

--I logged in as root and deleted the file in /var/log which was consuming lots of space

--This file logs failed SSH attemps and can increase in size during brute force attack.

--The issue is resolved in PAN-OS 6.1 and is tentatively scheduled to be resolved in PAN-OS 6.0.7 as well:

66208 A brute-force attack on an unprotected management interface on the firewall caused the /var/log/btmp log file to inflate and consume available disk space. With this fix, PAN-OS enables a log rotation function for failed SSH logins, such as those from brute-force attacks.

As discussed I will now proceed with case closure.

Thanks and Regards

Chetan Sharma

Technical Support Engineer

Shift Time : 2:00 PM – 11:00 PM CDT (GMT-5) Monday-Friday

Palo Alto Networks

Hi Tigran,

I am glad is same bug and same resolution. Let us know for additional queries.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Ok, Thanks Hardik for Support.The Only thing i didn't get, why PAN doesn't give the clients the root accesses to root directory to clean the diskspace themselves?

Best

Tigran

Hello Tigran,

The root access is restricted to only TAC resources. :smileylaugh:

Thanks

But why?

Not sure why, but may be for security reason.

Thanks

I am sure having root access for end user will cause many extra problems.

but if there are more advanced Admins than me.I don't think that the disk space clean up is very difficult action Smiley Happy)

Best

Tigran

Hi Tigran,

I think its not given because of security reasons.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hi Hardik,

I understood.But I think the groups of admins can full manage their devices and firewalls.Iinteresting if one of customers asks to give him full access, will it happen?

Thanks

Tigran

Hi,

root Access is a one time Password through Challenge/response method.

I am pretty sure that NO Customer will get the response generator. 😉

Even the Authorized Service Center don't get it.

Regards

Marco

Hi Tigran,

Root access is not given to end customer in any circumstances, that is good for end customer. There are some security reasons for that which even I dont know Smiley Happy

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hi Marco,Password through Challenge/response method.

I didn't get what does Password through Challenge/response method mean?Could you please explain?or give an example?

Thanks

• 34 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!