OpenVPN connection terminates

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

OpenVPN connection terminates

Not applicable

Hi,

We are running an OpenVPN connection from our internal LAN over our PA firewall towards an external partner. Our internal IP address is NAT`et on the firewall. I dont have access to the server, so i can only provide information from the client side. I am asking this simply to see if there are any known "issues" related to OpenVPN and PA.

The tunnel is established without any issues, and stays up for about 2-3 minutes every time before it restarts. To keep the tunnel up and running without any user activity, OpenVPN sends keepalives. When i check the logs on the OPENVPN these keepalives stops being received after a short amount of time, which results in the tunnel being re-established after the defined timeout value.

We are running the tunnel in UDP mode, we have not yet tested in TCP. But here lies the question. Are there some prerequisites that needs to be addressed when running a VPN tunnel over UDP on the PA firewall ? Or is it aslong as the tunnel is established, and traffic is sent and received, the tunnel will remain up until its manually teared down on one of the endpoints ?

Regards

Stian M

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!