Outside WAN port staying red on backup PA-850 when failing over from active - services do not work

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Outside WAN port staying red on backup PA-850 when failing over from active - services do not work

L2 Linker

Hi All,

Having a strange issue. I have a cluster of PA-850's in HA.  Last night I failed over my active PA-850 to the standby 850.  What happened is the backup 850 became active, and the inside and DMZ ports went green, but the outside port Eth1/1 stayed red.  As such, services did not work, and I had to fail back to the primary.  Has anyone ever seen this before and if so, what is the fix? I'm on 10.1.3, which is why I was failing over - trying to get onto the preferred 10.1 release. 

5 REPLIES 5

Community Team Member

Hi @dromanelli ,

Thanks for your question. There could be a number of reasons why the port is not coming up. What troubleshooting steps have you done so far? Has failover in the past been successful or was this the first test? Can you verify the speed/duplex settings are alike on both sides? 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Community Team Member

If a link is not coming up I would do the following:

1. Verify there is no damage to the cable

2. Verify the correct cable type is being used

3. Verify the speed/duplex/IP settings are appropriate on both sides

4. Swap out the cable for a known working cable

5. Clear ARP at the upstream device

6. Try out a different port on your PA-850

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hi Jay,

So this cluster is in a colo facility. I had remote hands check the cable and they certified it was good, and also had them power cycle the backup unit.  I can't perform another test for a few hours (business impact) so I will try again later and let you know how it looks post-reboot. 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

What is the upstream device that your PAN plugs into? Could be an issue with it not liking the new path or something.

Regards,

L1 Bithead

If you hover your mouse over the red port, what info does it show please?

How is the port configured?  Just L3?

• 5 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!