PA-500 and memory upgrade

Announcements

ATTENTION Customers, All Partners and Employees: The Customer Support Portal (CSP) will be undergoing maintenance and unavailable on Saturday, November 7, 2020, from 11 am to 11 pm PST. Please read our blog for more information.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Unfortunately I did not do any pretesting.  Even if I did it would not have been valid as I took it to 5.0.3 at the same time.

It is my opinion that everything is quicker including the commit process.  Fro $400 (ish) I would suggest you give it a shot.  Best money I have spent in a while!

Bob

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Normally, from CLI, when you commit you see dots that show you the progress.

………………..55%.............75%.........90% etc

Here are the times.

Student5

Student10

55%

1:17

:56

70%

1:31

1:06

98%

1:47

1:23

Complete

2:03

1:40

Based on these times, I would say that there is faster commit times, we saved closed to 25% of the commit time (~30 secs)

Student5 Swap:  2212876k total,   303200k used,  1909676k free,   129612k cached

Student10 Swap:  2008084k total, 0k used,  2008084k free,  1143148k cached

Then, from CLI mode, I loaded a script, which essentially loads a configuration and does the commit automatically.

Here are the times.

Student5

Student19

55%

1:26

70%

1:41

1:28

98%

1:50

1:39

Complete

2:06

1:42

We are consistently seeing an increase of load capability and commit response times of 25%.

Highlighted
L6 Presenter

%25 is very nice result.Thanks for test results.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Hi,

Do you know if its possible to upgrade one member of a HA pair only?

Best Regard.

Vincent.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

I do not see any problems with upgrading a single FW only.  It should not break the HA functionality.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Hello vchanal,

Is there any specific reason that you would want to upgrade one firewall and not the other in HA cluster? Although it will not break the HA functionality, it might result in synchronization issues. It will also generate lot of unnecessary logging on the system indicating software mismatch. It is recommended to have both the firewalls that are part of the same HA cluster on the same software version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Hello Tshiv,

Thank you for your answer. I will advice my customer to replace both of them.

Regards

Vincent.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!