PA 500 Upgrade to PANOS 8.0.2

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA 500 Upgrade to PANOS 8.0.2

My PA500 is currently on PanOS version 7.1.7, can I upgrade driectly to version 8.0.2?

Or do I need to upgrade to verion 8.0.0 first and then version 8.0.2?

Thanks for your help.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

Hi,

Your second option is correct. Base image has to be installed first in order to use any other releases withing the same major release 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L6 Presenter

Hi,

Your second option is correct. Base image has to be installed first in order to use any other releases withing the same major release 

Great.

Thank You, that's what I needed to know.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You need to download 8.0.0 and 8.0.2

Then install 8.0.2 and reboot.

I suggest to check that you have newer 2GB model (or upgrade) to get better management experience.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/PA-500-MP-Memory-Upgrade/ta-p/54483

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@kuntzelectroplating;

@Raido_Rattameister already gave you some great information; I just wanted to verify that you take the extra time that the 8.0 upgrade takes to actually complete when you actually put in for the change request. The 8.0 update does a lot behind the scenes and therefore takes a much longer time to actually complete than earlier releases.  

@BPry is right.

Upgrade converts log database.

If you don't care about historycal logs or send them to Panorama then clear logs before upgrade and it will be faster.

L6 Presenter

Now I am confused 😄 So do I need to install based image or when jumping between the major releases, or I simply have to download it?

image.JPG

EDIT: l think l am with you now. So if you will stay withing the major release them base image must be downloaded only. But this is not true if you want to skip any major release, then you must install at least a base image from that release (obviously reboot is required after each install). 

I usually take time and go through more steps.

Install base image and latest maintenance before jumping to next major release.

This is also suggested here:

"We recommend installing the latest maintenance release version available in the intermediate release to prevent issues during the upgrade process, for example, 6.0.5 to 6.1.13 to 7.0.6."

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-to-Upgrade-PAN-OS-and-Panorama/ta-p/587...

I have also seen suggestion to install multiple versions without rebooting but have not tried myself.

"Note:  Download and install the base image. Do not reboot device. Next download and install the minor release. Reboot device."

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-to-Manually-Import-and-Install-PAN-OS-f...

Thanks for the heads up!

Is there a way to know the hardware specs on the PA-500 ?, sorry I found it 

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-to-determine-RAM-in-PA-500-1GB-RAM-or-2...

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!