PA object naming schema/convention?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA object naming schema/convention?

L0 Member

Was about to create a naming schema for PA firewalls objects, but I am wondering if someone already has something I can model mine on so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

4 REPLIES 4

L1 Bithead

Did you come up with a naming conventions guide?

If so, please share.

Thanks

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

In the past I have used something similar to <device location><device identifier><Number, i.e. 00 or 01, etc>. Hope this is what you are asking.

L5 Sessionator

Hi Snake,

here is the shortest guide ever:

Spoiler
KISS! (Keep It Simple, Snake)

🙂 lol, nhf

the shorter the better, as long as it is relatively intuitive to a person that knows your convention across the organization. There is also a limit of 63 characters for the name and 255 characters for the description (click on the help in the screen, answer can be often there already)

regards

Luciano

L4 Transporter

Snake,

I don't think there is a majic bullet here but here are some ideas based on what we are doing.  Incorporate a high level identifier nmenonic at the start of the name.  This might be customer or physical location or a zone.  We then try to have a descriptive nmenonic for the server type or application.  Such as Exch2010 or mysqldb.  We often add the last octets of the IP address to the name.  This helps us know what it's IP address is just by looking at the object name.  This becomes helpful when you have larger numbers of Objects (eg. +5000).

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Phil

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!