PA upgrade problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA upgrade problems

Hi, we have a cluster with PANOS 7.0.6, we want to upgrade to 7.1.8. In a similiar upgrading path we were affected for a bug related to VPN, which was applying when you jump to 7.1.0 an then 7.1.8. So we would need to jump directly to 7.1.8.

On the another hand, when we have upgraded  others cluster A/P, downloading version 7.1.0 and 7.1.8 and jumping directly to 7.1.8, we got an error and PanOS 7.1.x was deleted, so we needed to download again, and jump first to 7.1.0 and then to 7.1.8. Why are we getting this error? This problem jumping directly to the minor versions it started happen in panOS 7.0 and above. Do you have any info about this problem upgrading directly???

Thanks 

10 REPLIES 10

L6 Presenter

I mean, how would you upgrade from 7.0.6 to 7.1.9???

If we download base version 7.1.0 and also 7.1.8, when we try to jump directly to 7.1.8 we get a error an images are deleted, It sounds like a bug or problem. This also happened jumping to 7.0.x directly. I thought any change in upgrade proccess PANOS after 7.0.x.

i know how to upgrade PA...

No, no changes. Process as per guide 

Is there plenty of disk space? I have had an issue where it looks like the file is on the firewall one minute and then the next minute it show "download" again. I had to go through and delete all of my old versions of code that were taking up disk space and then try again and I was good to go.

Good point! You can remove any unnecessary PAN-OS images:

p1.PNG

@Es_tecsupportsecurity,

It sounds like you are running into a diskspace issue, and depending on the model a version jump like this gets a little tricky to actually accomplish. Take a look at your actual file directories and see if you can't delete old pcap, debug-log, data-capture, software, and clear some space that way. Some of these I believe the only way you can actually delete are through the cli. 

L7 Applicator
If you are talking about a PA-200, this article may be explains the situation: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Software-Upgrade-Problems-on-PA-200-Devices...

Here are some more informations about how and also when you should delete some local files: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-and-When-to-Clear-Disk-Space-on-the-Pal...

@Remo wrote:
If you are talking about a PA-200, this article may be explains the situation: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Software-Upgrade-Problems-on-PA-200-Devices...

Here are some more informations about how and also when you should delete some local files: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-and-When-to-Clear-Disk-Space-on-the-Pal...

Honestly, from my experience I have seen the bug hit on platforms other than 200, albeit rarely.

Ideally, you need to only download the base image and then download-and-install the higher version. But regarding upgrading to 7.1.x, you should download-and-install 7.1.0 and then download-and-install 7.1.x.

The bug was fixed in a later version in 7.0 code.

================================================================
ACE 7.0, 8.0, PCNSE 7

@ansharma wrote:

Honestly, from my experience I have seen the bug hit on platforms other than 200, albeit rarely.

Ideally, you need to only download the base image and then download-and-install the higher version. But regarding upgrading to 7.1.x, you should download-and-install 7.1.0 and then download-and-install 7.1.x.

The bug was fixed in a later version in 7.0 code.

Lucky me, that I experienced this problems only on our PA-200 clusters 😛

Good for you 🙂
At TAC, we see all sorts of things 😛
================================================================
ACE 7.0, 8.0, PCNSE 7
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!