PA220 device stuck at booting state after reboot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA220 device stuck at booting state after reboot

L2 Linker

Hi Team,

My PA220 device stuck at booting state and unable to boot up.

State light showing Orange color. Is that hardware failure?

Or is that anything that I can check on?

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Oblagonte,

That light will be amber until the system has actually booted. These take a good 15 minutes to boot up after they've been restarted, and longer if it's doing a software upgrade. To really figure out what's going on if it's been longer than that, you need to plug into the console port and see what it's outputting. 

Worth noting that even with a console connection, you may not get a lot of output. The initial boot of a PA-220 does spit out some linux kernel stuff, but eventually it kicks over to a screen that just says <hostname> login:

You would think you'd be able to login and then see deeper status... but you'd be wrong. It will actually tell you "login incorrect" even if you use a user/password that you know is 100% correct.

I don't know what is going on "behind the prompt," but it sits there and tells you almost nothing for a very large part of the boot process. You won't be able to ping it, and all of the interface LEDs will stay dark, with just the "STAT" light being orange/yellow. 

Eventually, the lights will come on and pings will respond and then you should be able to login.

I wish the error message was different when it is still in a "half-booted" state. "Login incorrect" is very unhelpful! Maybe spit out something like "System still booting, please be patient and wait for green STAT light", that would be helpful. 😉

L0 Member

Same experience with 3440, 5420 and 3260 in PANOS ranging from 9.1 to 10.1.8
Long process to boot also to even show anything, and then just  "Booting from SPI0...", "Booting from SPI1..."

I ran into same issue , What was the solution for this issue ?

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!