Palo Alto IPV6 configuration for firewalls running in active-active HA

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Palo Alto IPV6 configuration for firewalls running in active-active HA

L1 Bithead

Hello All,

We have a customer planning to enable IPV6 firewalling in their current  data center firewalls. The firewalls are currently running in active-active HA mode. I have the below queries.

1. When I configure IPV6 address on the interfaces, is there any possibility that the HA will break or it will have flaps?.

2. When I configure floating IPV6 addresses on the firewalls, is there any possibility that the HA will break or it will have flaps?.

3. Is it mandatory to configure IPV6 addresses on the HA interfaces (like HA1,HA2 and HA3) ?

Kindly advise

BR

Shabeeb

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for posting questions @shabeeb

We have enabled IPv6 in a few Data Centers and Firewalls are running dual stack. During actual configuration as well as post operation we did not come across any flapping or anything similar related to HA.

1. I did not come across this issue and I believe enabling IPv6 on interface is safe and will not cause HA issue.

2. This operation should not cause an issue.

3. It is not mandatory to enabled IPv6 on HA interfaces. Your customer can keep using existing IPv4 HA configuration.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Hello Pavel,

So only thing what we need to do is to configure the interfaces, floating IP address field of active-active HA and routing right. In your config you have one floating IP or two IPs?.

BR

Shabeeb

L0 Member

To ping to link-local addresses, you MUST specify the name of the output interface (because theoretically the same link-local address can appear behind different physical interfaces.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for reply @shabeeb  and sorry for late respnse.

Yes, this is correct statement: only thing what we need to do is to configure the interfaces, floating IP address field of active-active HA and routing.

Regarding floating IP address, only 1.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!